Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > Other BMWs
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 AM
SANguru's Avatar
Scuderia Ferrari Tifosi
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,500
SANguru is on a distinguished road
what do you mean??? mine range around 210-220 which is pretty normal even in traffic. Mine has an oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Guys even the 'normal' temps seem a bit high. I would be somewhat concerned about turbo/sludging issues down the road.

Gresch an I talked about this: it's very suspicious that the auto's/non-sports don't have oil coolers. Why would some models have them, the others not? They're supposed to be running the same boost etc.

It's downright INSANE considering there are two turbos that need to be cooled and that even the naturally aspirated I6 (below) has got one. Most cars these days do.

Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 AM
xx3's Avatar
xx3 xx3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,177
xx3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch
There is a ruckus brewing with the 335i about the oil temp being abnormally high (i.e. over 270 and sometimes hitting 300) and the car shutting down.

At first some theories tried to explain it away with the explanation that owners were looking at the oil temp gauge and thinking that they were looking at the coolant temp. but that didn't account for the car shutting down. Such a mystery...

But now, *SUPPOSEDLY* BMW has issued a recall for faulty oil temp gauges.

Anyone have an automatic tranny 335i that is having this problem?
I heard the opposite. That BMW forgot to install the secondary oil cooler on pre-december 06 production cars with automatic transmission.

All manual cars have the second oil cooler (located in the front fender), and now automatic transmission cars built after december 06' with the sport package have the second oil cooler too...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru
what do you mean??? mine range around 210-220 which is pretty normal even in traffic. Mine has an oil cooler.
Yah..you HAVE an oil cooler.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx3
I heard the opposite. That BMW forgot to install the secondary oil cooler on pre-december 06 production cars with automatic transmission.

All manual cars have the second oil cooler (located in the front fender), and now automatic transmission cars built after december 06' with the sport package have the second oil cooler too...
Even so, how do you forget an oil cooler..things don't fit when you forget shit. Can someone explain why any model shouldn't have the oil cooler. It's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I'm not yelling at you xx3, just very dissapointing stuff from BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 AM
xx3's Avatar
xx3 xx3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,177
xx3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Even so, how do you forget an oil cooler..things don't fit when you forget shit. Can someone explain why any model shouldn't have the oil cooler. It's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I'm not yelling at you xx3, just very dissapointing stuff from BMW.
Well apparently there are two sets of parts. Those with sport package and those without.

So not installing a secondary oil cooler isn't going to necessarily raise questions with those on the assembly line...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx3
Well apparently there are two sets of parts. Those with sport package and those without.

So not installing a secondary oil cooler isn't going to necessarily raise questions with those on the assembly line...
Yah..there were orignally two different designs.. But you can't forget parts in the engine plant and still have a functioning engine. You're not talking about some wiring harness clip, oil/coolant flow in/out of this part.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 03-30-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 AM
xx3's Avatar
xx3 xx3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,177
xx3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Yah..there were orignally two different designs.. But you can't forget parts in the engine plant and still have a functioning engine. You're not talking about a harness clip, oil/coolant flow in/out of this part.
It seems like its just an extra tie in. Just a different set up of hoses. Not that big of a difference.

The engines are functioning. Perfectly fine actually - only until the owner gets a little rough with them in high temp area's... Thats when the problem arises...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 AM
vinuneuro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MI/IL/IN
Posts: 7,800
vinuneuro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx3
It seems like its just an extra tie in. Just a different set up of hoses. Not that big of a difference.

The engines are functioning. Perfectly fine actually - only until the owner gets a little rough with them in high temp area's... Thats when the problem arises...
Don't be naive. It's a big difference.

The 'Ultimate Driving Machine' shouldn't have these kind of major problems when tracked. Pathetic excuses so far..

The 335i shutdown in the Edmunds test.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM
xx3's Avatar
xx3 xx3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,177
xx3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Don't be naive. It's a big difference.

The 'Ultimate Driving Machine' shouldn't have these kind of major problems when tracked. Pathetic excuses so far..

The 335i shutdown in the Edmunds test.
I'm not excusing BMW's behavior in any way shape or form.

With that being said, BMW also seems to be taking the appropriate steps to rectify the situation.

I simply corrected you when you incorrectly stated that a missing second oil cooler would be a glaring and obvious manufacturing defect. With two sets of parts, this just isn't the case and isn't inherently obvious to those manufacturing the cars...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 AM
China Man's Avatar
I give you best price ... 34.50
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On an airplane
Posts: 2,126
China Man is on a distinguished road
I still don't understand why a sport package equipped car would have the secondary oil cooler and a non-SP car would not? Are they expecting the sport package cars to be driven harder? (which they probably are, but that's not the point....)
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.