Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > Other BMWs
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Dawg
Dudes, I live one exit south of Chateau Elan - I might just have to get in on this!!!
This is literally in your backyard.

It would be interesting to see that many BMW's in one place. I'm sure you would get to see some fairly rare models in the bunch. I neeed to double check the date, but I would like to check it out.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhtX5
Nice!

No Rasp either
I still think the e46 M3 is one of the best looking cars on the road, but that dirt bike sounding exhaust just doesn't suit the car. Don't get me wrong though, I would love to have one.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 AM
M-individual's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the free
Posts: 192
M-individual is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH
Nothing sounds better than a V8! Especially the F-1 inspired BMW V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqM77E08H1c
One thing does sound better ... an F1 inspired BMW V10.

The V8 from the new M3 does indeed sound great but I like the V10 sound better. Screams more at high revs.
__________________
M-individual
____________________
07 M6 Conv - Individual (Ruby Black - Full Merino Gold Brown) - ACS Type V 20"
____________________
BMW X5 4.8i (E70) - AW III - Napa full leather black + aluminium trim - Sports + aero pack - 22" ACS Racing wheel Type IV Magic Black
____________________
Ferrari F430 F1 - Bianco Avus - CS brakes
____________________
On order - delivery 09: Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano F1 - Rosso Monza - full CF int - CS brakes - nero challenge wheels
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
08WhtX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 391
08WhtX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH
I still think the e46 M3 is one of the best looking cars on the road, but that dirt bike sounding exhaust just doesn't suit the car. Don't get me wrong though, I would love to have one.
I totally agree, some people love it but I don't think it fits the car either.

I'm currently looking at some different combos but I'm concerned with drone at lower rpms. I don't want it to sound obnoxious but a little more throaty would be nice.
__________________
2008 BMW X5 4.8i (E70)
Alpine White, Burl Walnut, Nevada Black, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package,
Premium Package, Technology Package,
Rear Climate Package, iPod adapter
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-individual
One thing does sound better ... an F1 inspired BMW V10.

The V8 from the new M3 does indeed sound great but I like the V10 sound better. Screams more at high revs.
I love the way that engine sounds too. You are right, the V-10 does scream a little more than the V8 in the higher RPM's and with your Eisenmann exhaust I am sure yours sounds beastly.

The M3 has been my favorite car for the last 15 years, so to hear that exhaust note out of a 3-series chassis got me all excited. I have read a few articles that call the new M3 engine one of, if not the, most advanced engines in any road car. It is no wonder that BMW continuously wins awards with their engine designs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhtX5
I totally agree, some people love it but I don't think it fits the car either.

I'm currently looking at some different combos but I'm concerned with drone at lower rpms. I don't want it to sound obnoxious but a little more throaty would be nice.
The engine sounds great from inside the car, but that rasp is pretty loud outside the car for sure.

Here is a link from Bimmerforums about the rasp situation and exhaust options. One post talks about using a resonator with a Remus exhaust to eliminate the rasp.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ferrerid=56200

I don't have any experience with changing the exhaust out on that particular car. I do know that Remus seems to be a good all around exhaust choice because they are not too loud. They have a new exhaust out that allows you to actually adjust the sound level to your personal liking. I am not sure how much it takes away the rasp though.

I am under the impression that the other big brands like Supersprint, Eisenmann, Active, and Borla are more agressive sounding. Totally different car and sound, but a family member of mine has an 850i with a Remus exhaust and it sounds great. Much deeper, but not offensive.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
M-individual's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the free
Posts: 192
M-individual is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH
I love the way that engine sounds too. You are right, the V-10 does scream a little more than the V8 in the higher RPM's and with your Eisenmann exhaust I am sure yours sounds beastly.

The M3 has been my favorite car for the last 15 years, so to hear that exhaust note out of a 3-series chassis got me all excited. I have read a few articles that call the new M3 engine one of, if not the, most advanced engines in any road car. It is no wonder that BMW continuously wins awards with their engine designs.
The engine of the new M3 is indeed a work of art and does sound great. It is different from the V10 in the M6 but goes well with the M3. In fact, when I took the new M3 for a spin on Paul Ricard I was really impressed with its power. It doesn't provide the thrill the V10 gives you (at least not for me) but overall it is a very impressive engine and revs really high. The only thing I didn't like about it was the gearbox. I missed the SMG on the track. I know, a lot of difference of opinion on that one but I like the SMG (and the F1 superfast from Ferrari even more). No more stick for me in new cars.
__________________
M-individual
____________________
07 M6 Conv - Individual (Ruby Black - Full Merino Gold Brown) - ACS Type V 20"
____________________
BMW X5 4.8i (E70) - AW III - Napa full leather black + aluminium trim - Sports + aero pack - 22" ACS Racing wheel Type IV Magic Black
____________________
Ferrari F430 F1 - Bianco Avus - CS brakes
____________________
On order - delivery 09: Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano F1 - Rosso Monza - full CF int - CS brakes - nero challenge wheels
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-individual
The engine of the new M3 is indeed a work of art and does sound great. It is different from the V10 in the M6 but goes well with the M3. In fact, when I took the new M3 for a spin on Paul Ricard I was really impressed with its power. It doesn't provide the thrill the V10 gives you (at least not for me) but overall it is a very impressive engine and revs really high. The only thing I didn't like about it was the gearbox. I missed the SMG on the track. I know, a lot of difference of opinion on that one but I like the SMG (and the F1 superfast from Ferrari even more). No more stick for me in new cars.
I am jealous you have already driven one of these. I would immagine that once you get up in higher speeds and RPM's the V10 is a different monster than the V8. Did you notice a bigger difference at higher or lower RPM's/speed with the M3 compared to your M6?

I know the SMG has plenty of advantages, especially on the track, but do you miss rowing through the gears when driving on public roads?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
M-individual's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the free
Posts: 192
M-individual is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSETH
I am jealous you have already driven one of these. I would immagine that once you get up in higher speeds and RPM's the V10 is a different monster than the V8. Did you notice a bigger difference at higher or lower RPM's/speed with the M3 compared to your M6?

I know the SMG has plenty of advantages, especially on the track, but do you miss rowing through the gears when driving on public roads?
The big difference starts as of 5,500 rpm. This is where the V10 goes to "warp speed". From that point on the V10 has impressed me from the first time I drove it till today. The M3 didn't give me this feeling. It goes but it doesn't give you this "kick-in-the-but" the V10 gives you.

No, I don't miss rowing through gears on public roads because I still do it. The only difference is that you do it with little paddles and don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel. I never drive it in auto mode unless there is a huge traffic jam and even then, I drive it in manual mode most of the time.

There is one better thing though ... F1 super fast on the 599 GTB and that engine will give you a kick in the but from 0 al the way up to 8,250 rpm.
__________________
M-individual
____________________
07 M6 Conv - Individual (Ruby Black - Full Merino Gold Brown) - ACS Type V 20"
____________________
BMW X5 4.8i (E70) - AW III - Napa full leather black + aluminium trim - Sports + aero pack - 22" ACS Racing wheel Type IV Magic Black
____________________
Ferrari F430 F1 - Bianco Avus - CS brakes
____________________
On order - delivery 09: Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano F1 - Rosso Monza - full CF int - CS brakes - nero challenge wheels
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.