Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,809
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
You. People. Suuuuuuck!

__________________
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #282  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,085
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
You. People. Suuuuuuck!


Oh Heck Prop you might as well get some 3m sound deadner in a can and spray the entire inside of the door shells. This way your X5 will have the sound absobtion of a Rolls Royce!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Wow Prop you really went above and beyond now lol!

Were you getting a lot of rattles?
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 AM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,809
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Wow Prop you really went above and beyond now lol!

Were you getting a lot of rattles?
Truth be told, that's the E46 rear doors. I got the idea off a speaker install for E46's. They said that there could be a lot of rattles with the different plastic, cardboard and metals behind there.

The stuff isn't bad. Really easy to work with. GTMat I think. I got 2 big a$$ rolls for $150. Ab 1/3 of one roll did the rear doors on the E46. The doors feel and sound WAY different than they did on operation. I didn't want to do the front's until I do the speakers up there.

And of course, I am doing all of this so I can get the process down pretty well for the E53. I don't get any rattles there either, but the sound difference in the E46 with just two doors is enough to motivate my X5 work. I planning on picking it up today. New transmission.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Oh I definitely think its worth it (and I don't believe in spending the extra $$$ for brand name Dynamat) - adding it on the door panel is going to keep road noise out and sound in - which GTMat did you get? Ultra, Pro, or Supreme?

I had a roll years ago on my old VW Jetta and it helped a ton - definitely thinking about doing it "while I'm in there" when I do get to my E53 door speakers - for the $75 for a roll and having about enough to do 4 doors I'm fine with that .
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,085
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Oh I definitely think its worth it (and I don't believe in spending the extra $$$ for brand name Dynamat) - adding it on the door panel is going to keep road noise out and sound in - which GTMat did you get? Ultra, Pro, or Supreme?

I had a roll years ago on my old VW Jetta and it helped a ton - definitely thinking about doing it "while I'm in there" when I do get to my E53 door speakers - for the $75 for a roll and having about enough to do 4 doors I'm fine with that .
Alright I am going to go down the same path. I obviously know there are substantial differences once you add some absorption in there. I'll get the materials and do it the same time that I add the rear mids. Prop you have inspired us to go further and for good results.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,809
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X53Jay4.8is View Post
Prop you have inspired us to go further and for good results.
Sooo.. What you're saying is... we ALL suck!

Good luck! I hope to get mine done sometime soon in the E53. I JUST picked it up! So NICE to be back 'home'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
which GTMat did you get? Ultra, Pro, or Supreme?
I got 'Pro' though I will admit to doing ZERO research on the differences. Here's a link to the twin rolls: Amazon.com
__________________

Last edited by PropellerHead; 03-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 03-07-2017, 02:42 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,809
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
This morning I had a little time to allow inspiration from RB on my rear door mids for the E46. They're the same as on the E53, so you can use this as a preview if you choose to replace them.

I've learned since I did my own that OE mid speakers have a little plastic ring to screw onto the speaker grill behind the door. This would have been awesome to figure out on my own, but that's what we're here for, rt? Anyway, the plastic ring is held to tabs on the OE speaker rim that are basically melted to create a bond between the mount and the speaker. Those tabs are pretty clear in this pic. It's also pretty clear that it was time to replace this OE speaker!
I am using silicon to bond the plastic ring to the el cheapo Amazon 2.75" mids I used this time- instead of the Memphis audio ones. 'Cause why not, rt? We're screwing around here! Ya gotta fiddle with stuff to experience the difference!

This needs some clean up, but I may decide I don't care too much. Like the mess that is my new tweeters in the E53, I don't expect that I will see these again until it's time for a window regulator.

Anyway, I picked up the E53 and dropped off the E46 yesterday. Hopefully I'll get a shot at replacing these this weekend.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,085
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
This morning I had a little time to allow inspiration from RB on my rear door mids for the E46. They're the same as on the E53, so you can use this as a preview if you choose to replace them.

I've learned since I did my own that OE mid speakers have a little plastic ring to screw onto the speaker grill behind the door. This would have been awesome to figure out on my own, but that's what we're here for, rt? Anyway, the plastic ring is held to tabs on the OE speaker rim that are basically melted to create a bond between the mount and the speaker. Those tabs are pretty clear in this pic. It's also pretty clear that it was time to replace this OE speaker!
I am using silicon to bond the plastic ring to the el cheapo Amazon 2.75" mids I used this time- instead of the Memphis audio ones. 'Cause why not, rt? We're screwing around here! Ya gotta fiddle with stuff to experience the difference!

This needs some clean up, but I may decide I don't care too much. Like the mess that is my new tweeters in the E53, I don't expect that I will see these again until it's time for a window regulator.

Anyway, I picked up the E53 and dropped off the E46 yesterday. Hopefully I'll get a shot at replacing these this weekend.

Oh yeah that foam surround on the speaker does deteriorate on the OE speaker after some years. Nice pre-view.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear I inspired you Prop! Looking good and WOW that driver was ready for replacement!
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.