Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
Probably, they were flickering too so had to get capacitors to make them stop.

But didn't have to coded them off for errors though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #32  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,549
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
Probably, they were flickering too so had to get capacitors to make them stop.

But didn't have to coded them off for errors though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When did they flicker? At first start up or all the time when they were lit?
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
From the moment I plugged mine in and turned on the car. Would stop if brakes were applied but otherwise it would constantly flicker.

Searched and it's due to the pwm on facelift cars and lightwerkz sold premade capacitors for the e53.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 2,413
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Since you have a 2005 and LCI facelift, I would expect you should have BFD. It may be the way the aftermarket lenses are wired.
It most likely is the after-market wiring...

The BFD feature is provided via PWM to the top lamp. The lamp is a 12v 21W single filament lamp and as a tail lamp it has a PWM pulse duty-cycle of about 20-30% - which makes the 21W lamp glow dimly like 5W or 10W tail lamp. When the BDF lighting is called for, the PWM duty-cycle changes up to about 90-100%, so the lamp glows like a 21W (brighter!).

LEDs cannot easily vary their brightness, although oddly enough the best way to dim LEDs is with PWM, but not quite the same system that BMW use on the OEM tails. So the after-market LED tails glow the same regardless of the PWM duty-cycle. The manufacture then has to wire them such that they are either on or off - possibly in groups to provide both tail and brake lighting behind the same lens. And the capacitors that are used to removed the "flicker" (which act as averaging devices) also screw up any chance of using BMW's PWM on after-market tails.

I'm guessing this is why there are so many after-market LED tail options for pre-facelift cars (which don't use PWM) and hardly any for facelift cars - it's just too hard for the after-market manufacturer to deal with the PWM.
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,549
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
From the moment I plugged mine in and turned on the car. Would stop if brakes were applied but otherwise it would constantly flicker.

Searched and it's due to the pwm on facelift cars and lightwerkz sold premade capacitors for the e53.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
It most likely is the after-market wiring...

The BFD feature is provided via PWM to the top lamp. The lamp is a 12v 21W single filament lamp and as a tail lamp it has a PWM pulse duty-cycle of about 20-30% - which makes the 21W lamp glow dimly like 5W or 10W tail lamp. When the BDF lighting is called for, the PWM duty-cycle changes up to about 90-100%, so the lamp glows like a 21W (brighter!).

LEDs cannot easily vary their brightness, although oddly enough the best way to dim LEDs is with PWM, but not quite the same system that BMW use on the OEM tails. So the after-market LED tails glow the same regardless of the PWM duty-cycle. The manufacture then has to wire them such that they are either on or off - possibly in groups to provide both tail and brake lighting behind the same lens. And the capacitors that are used to removed the "flicker" (which act as averaging devices) also screw up any chance of using BMW's PWM on after-market tails.

I'm guessing this is why there are so many after-market LED tail options for pre-facelift cars (which don't use PWM) and hardly any for facelift cars - it's just too hard for the after-market manufacturer to deal with the PWM.
Well, that solves that... Great post Wayne.
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear


Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 1,783
jsoto is on a distinguished road
Turns not in. Brakes and Backup installed.
No errors

Going to need caps....flickering galore
And or going back to stock.

Going to have to wait for night and give it a night test to see output
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,507
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Is voltage monitoring coded off? That's what will cure the flicker. Do they work properly other than the flickering? Resistors are typically needed for signal lights, not sure about the brake or backup yet as I have not done those on my truck... yet.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 1,783
jsoto is on a distinguished road
Mine's a pre. Dunno if there is a difference on how the voltage is sent vs post, vs coding ?
I'm going to have to spend some time reading older threads.
Does pre/post both have the top red lamp with a 21/5 bulb


Going to need to do a more real test with a human (wifey).
I put the bulbs in, set the iPhone on video and pulled the car front and backed in.

No flickering on backups though
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 930
mr_robot is on a distinguished road
Is yours constantly flicking or only on start up?

As far as I know, pre-lci don't have pwm voltage so should only flicker on start up due to the cold check which can be coded off.

Is yours also hyper flashing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2005 Imola 4.8iS
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 1,783
jsoto is on a distinguished road
Turns have not come in yet.

Not really testing much, as I got other issues going on on the X.
However, a quick light test - the red LED bulbs in the tail for sure are brighter !

I did not noticed any flickering. Maybe it's just due to how the iPhone picks up the LED on video - dunno. It was a short video test I did though. When backing up, it showed no flickering on backups, and the reds where flicking until I hit the brakes. Not really conclusive

More light testing once the turns come in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.