Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 340
Russianblue is on a distinguished road
New Takata Airbag Recall ?

Read an article this AM about a new round of Takata recalls. I've kept up with this in the past and neither of my Xers have been affected.

However, in my most recent NHTSA search it appears the 180k mi 2003 currently being driven by my 16 yr old daughter IS in fact now affected.

My question is whether BMW has released enough information on the subject to be able to check for myself to see if the car is really at risk. I remember the prior owner (my dad) had an airbag light at some point and the bag was replaced in 08 or 09. Are there part numbers or manufacturing dates on the parts themselves that indicate faulty products or am I just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend half a day or more fetching the car from my kid (25 min away) and driving it to the dealership...which I absolutely LOATHE and avoid at ALL costs.

I know I know...SO MUCH IS RIDING ON THOSE TIRES...but if this is a matter of removing the driver airbag and checking a production date, i'd really rather the 15 minute inspection vs taking a personal day at work for the latest round of BMW foibles.

Alternatively, is there anyway to use ISTA or BMW Scanner to figure it out?
__________________

2005 X5 3.0 - 71k mi (9.2018)
2003 X5 3.0 - 177k mi (9.2018) bequeathed to daughter and running like a champ!
1988 528e w/ Bullseye s256 / MS2 Extra / GC Coilovers / Yukon Coils ~ 300+ HP - SOLD to buy 'the ring'
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 194
Bdc101 is on a distinguished road
The replacement airbag serial number will tell the stealership when and where it was built, and if it is affected by the recall. I'm sure they'll have this information if you call them.



Thanks for the tip though. My 2003 non-sport 3.0i was not affected by the recall until last month either! I thought I was in the clear.
__________________
2003 3.0 5-speed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,457
Overboost is on a distinguished road
I ran my 2004 on the NTHSA VIN search again and came back still no airbag recall.
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Crowz's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,256
Crowz is on a distinguished road
Unless the 2001 I just bought has been changed I should get another recall postcard for that one in a few days I imagine.

My 2005 doesn't have takata airbags in it. I cant remember the brand name it has but the drivers side isn't a takata.

From what I read on my 2001 at least its only the sport steering wheel models that have the bad airbags. My 2005 is the plain 4 spoke steering wheel.

My 2000 323i on the other hand has the plain 4 spoke steering wheel and is on the recall list.
__________________
Just BMW's - All cars and trucks was two pages long
1994 318is
1997 528i
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,082
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianblue View Post
Read an article this AM about a new round of Takata recalls. I've kept up with this in the past and neither of my Xers have been affected.

However, in my most recent NHTSA search it appears the 180k mi 2003 currently being driven by my 16 yr old daughter IS in fact now affected.

My question is whether BMW has released enough information on the subject to be able to check for myself to see if the car is really at risk. I remember the prior owner (my dad) had an airbag light at some point and the bag was replaced in 08 or 09. Are there part numbers or manufacturing dates on the parts themselves that indicate faulty products or am I just gonna have to bite the bullet and spend half a day or more fetching the car from my kid (25 min away) and driving it to the dealership...which I absolutely LOATHE and avoid at ALL costs.

I know I know...SO MUCH IS RIDING ON THOSE TIRES...but if this is a matter of removing the driver airbag and checking a production date, i'd really rather the 15 minute inspection vs taking a personal day at work for the latest round of BMW foibles.

Alternatively, is there anyway to use ISTA or BMW Scanner to figure it out?
They will notify you if your car is affected. Then they can order the part and notify when its in and then bring it in for the recall. Its not that bad. Both my M5 and X5 4.6is were completed within 30 minutes of bringing it into the dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 194
Bdc101 is on a distinguished road
Yep, it's easy to swap an airbag. Though I share OP's dread for dealing with the dealership. Any simple task can be screwed up by an incompetent advisor.



Also, it may take time to get the inflator in. I have a friend who got a rental car for three months from Honda for his CRV.
__________________
2003 3.0 5-speed
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Crowz's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,256
Crowz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdc101 View Post
Yep, it's easy to swap an airbag. Though I share OP's dread for dealing with the dealership. Any simple task can be screwed up by an incompetent advisor.



Also, it may take time to get the inflator in. I have a friend who got a rental car for three months from Honda for his CRV.
Its easy to replace SOME airbags.

E53 = easy.

E70 = Rebuild the entire front interior.

Some moron at bmw decided to put the passenger airbag between the dash and the windshield. The entire dash and I mean the ENTIRE dash has to be removed and I don't trust some dealership mechanic to have the skill needed to do that correctly.
__________________
Just BMW's - All cars and trucks was two pages long
1994 318is
1997 528i
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Zulu95's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Show Me
Posts: 2,267
Zulu95 is on a distinguished road
I check the NHTSA VIN check and our '01 is on the list with the 4 spoke wheel. I have email the local BMW place to find out if they can confirm.
Still waiting for BMW US to contact us. We have only had the vehicle 15 years!
__________________
Sent via Telegraph Wires using my Morse Key.
2001 X5 3.0L
2013 X5 xDrive35i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,300
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowz View Post
E70 = Rebuild the entire front interior.

Some moron at bmw decided to put the passenger airbag between the dash and the windshield. The entire dash and I mean the ENTIRE dash has to be removed and I don't trust some dealership mechanic to have the skill needed to do that correctly.
That explains that. Have had an annoying rattle on the driver's side of the wife's e70 after having both airbags replaced by the dealership under the recall. It seems like the rattle is coming from either in the column trim or gauge cluster area. I HATE this rattle... HATE it, but have not had the time to lookinto it yet.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Crowz's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,256
Crowz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
That explains that. Have had an annoying rattle on the driver's side of the wife's e70 after having both airbags replaced by the dealership under the recall. It seems like the rattle is coming from either in the column trim or gauge cluster area. I HATE this rattle... HATE it, but have not had the time to lookinto it yet.
That's why I have a huge stack of recall notices for that car right now. I may get it done one day but its not high on my todo list.
__________________
Just BMW's - All cars and trucks was two pages long
1994 318is
1997 528i
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.