Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 12-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 63
thstone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEI7 View Post
Great thread!

I believe this is the most thorough off-road build thread ever.

Thank you for write up!

How did you meet the 120 PCD with the Cragars?
Custom ordered?
Thanks, glad that you're enjoying the thread!

In regards to PCD (pitch circle diameter), the BMW 5x120mm is very close in size to the Cragar 5x4.75 inch PCD so they fit without any adapter, modifications, or customization.

To dive a little deeper, 120mm is 4.724", not 4.75". The 0.026" difference (otherwise known as 26 thousandths of an inch or 26 thou) is within the manufacturing tolerance of the hubs and the wheels. So while there is a real measurable difference, in practice the wheels mount fine and can be fully torqued.

The best way to sum this up is to say that while 120mm does not equal 4.75", wheels with a 5x4.75" PCD will fit a 5x120mm PCD wheel hub.

With that being said, it is up to each owner to decide if "close enough that works" is acceptable to them. I completely understand why someone might want a true 5x120mm/4.724" PCD wheel to mount on a 120mm PCD hub and would refuse to install anything else. That's how BMW designed it and BMW certainly knows what they are doing.

In my particular case, I am ok with installing a 5x4.724" PCD wheel on a 5x120mm hub. Your mileage may vary.

I hope that I fairly summarized the different sides of this issue.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #82  
Old 12-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 27
KEI7 is on a distinguished road
Thank you! VERY clear!

Your wheels really bring ruggedness into the vehicle.
They look way better than bmw 17 inches


Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Thanks, glad that you're enjoying the thread!

In regards to PCD (pitch circle diameter), the BMW 5x120mm is very close in size to the Cragar 5x4.75 inch PCD so they fit without any adapter, modifications, or customization.

To dive a little deeper, 120mm is 4.724", not 4.75". The 0.026" difference (otherwise known as 26 thousandths of an inch or 26 thou) is within the manufacturing tolerance of the hubs and the wheels. So while there is a real measurable difference, in practice the wheels mount fine and can be fully torqued.

The best way to sum this up is to say that while 120mm does not equal 4.75", wheels with a 5x4.75" PCD will fit a 5x120mm PCD wheel hub.

With that being said, it is up to each owner to decide if "close enough that works" is acceptable to them. I completely understand why someone might want a true 5x120mm/4.724" PCD wheel to mount on a 120mm PCD hub and would refuse to install anything else. That's how BMW designed it and BMW certainly knows what they are doing.

In my particular case, I am ok with installing a 5x4.724" PCD wheel on a 5x120mm hub. Your mileage may vary.

I hope that I fairly summarized the different sides of this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 63
thstone is on a distinguished road
* Roof Rack *

The roof rack is now installed!

My roof rack system consists of a set of crossbars and the roof basket. The crossbars mount to the stock roof rails and the basket installs on top of the crossbars.

I wanted a rack system with a fairly low profile so I seriously considered installing a flat roof panel instead of a basket but then I realized that the sides of the basket make it a lot easier to hold stuff so I decided on a basket.

I specifically selected crossbars that mount flush with the roof rails. There are many brands of crossbars (Yakima, Thule, etc) that mount on top of the roof rails and then the roof rack or basket mounts on top of that - kind of Jenga style. The profile of those racks systems was going to be too tall for my taste.

Of course, another consideration was cost. A set of crossbars from one of the big brands (Yakima, Thule, etc) typically runs ~$200 and a roof basket can easily be $250+ which didn't seem to align with the affordability goals of this build.

After a bit of searching, I found a set of flush mount crossbars for $85 and a rugged roof basket for $126. The roof basket did require some labor (described in the next paragraph) but I was willing to trade a couple hours of my time for the lower price.

The roof basket is solidly built but several reviews on Amazon mentioned that the finish was poor and the rack would get water inside when it rained and then the rack would rust on the inside and drip rusty water onto the vehicle. Well, of course its gonna be cheaply made, that is kind of what you get for $126.

So, to prevent that from happening I filled the joints where the rack assembles with expoxy putty and filed/sanded them down. Then I scuffed the entire rack with a scotchbrite pad and sprayed two coats of satin black and one coat of clear from rattle cans from Home Depot. In the end, the rack looks great and hopefully the sealed joints and new finish will prevent any rusting. This took me about 3 hrs.

Installation of the crossbars and the basket was pretty easy. I took care to get the basket centered on the X5 where I liked it and then centered the crossbars and the basket mounts in their respective positions and tightened everything down.

The stock roof rails are actually curved a bit so I had to move the crossbars fore/aft to get the rake of the basket level with the car. I was working alone so I had to keep moving from one side of the X5 to the other so if you can find someone to help it will go a lot faster. The whole installation took about 90 mins.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the result at an all in price of only $211.
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 63
thstone is on a distinguished road
Couple more pics...
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-09-2020, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 170
guntherrex is on a distinguished road
that looks badass!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,063
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
I can see I’m going to need another X... my current one for the “low and go” and a second one for “throwin snow”!

Impressive build, that is turning out amazing


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 60
alberniken is on a distinguished road
Links/Vendors

Hi

That is exactly what I am looking for!
Could you provide links or vendor info?

Thanks
K
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 63
thstone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberniken View Post
Hi

That is exactly what I am looking for!
Could you provide links or vendor info?

Thanks
K
Sure, hope this helps...

Crossbars: https://omacshop.com/products/bmw-x5...497e7124&_ss=r

Roof basket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&psc=1&fpw=alm
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 501
Effduration is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Sure, hope this helps...

Crossbars: https://omacshop.com/products/bmw-x5...497e7124&_ss=r
Wow the Omacshop people already have a pic of your truck on their website...
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 63
thstone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
Wow the Omacshop people already have a pic of your truck on their website...
I wrote a review for them and they posted the photos. For $85 its really a great product.

For clarity, I am not sponsored or compensated in any way by any of the manufacturers/products that I have mentioned in this thread. Its all my personal preference and everything has been purchased with my own money at retail pricing.

Last edited by thstone; 12-09-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.