Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 09-27-2023, 10:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 425
Serb404 is on a distinguished road
can anyone recommend dual muffler tips they liked?

Was thinking the 2 options below :

https://www.amazon.com/Yonaka-Outlet...omotive&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Perfo...0-4513d670b6bc

Also similiar engine and idea that I want to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f4m2HuPujM
__________________
2004 E53 3.0i 185K Miles

Last edited by Serb404; 09-27-2023 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #72  
Old 09-27-2023, 11:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 144
Squiggy is on a distinguished road
I have been considering electronic cut outs for a long time. You get the quietness your passengers and neighbors enjoy, but can open it up when you get away from people and let it roar. And you can fine tune how far you want the cut outs to open just by turning a knob on your dash.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is. Imola Red. Black leather. Style 87 wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-28-2023, 01:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 425
Serb404 is on a distinguished road
for the vibrant resonator size does it matter if it's 2.25 or 2.5 for the 3.0i, I know the xpipe I have right now is 2.25, just curious?

I believe when I swapped the 4.6 mufflers and put those on the 3.0i those are 2.5 and the guy at the shop mentioned he had no issue welding them on.
__________________
2004 E53 3.0i 185K Miles
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-28-2023, 08:04 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 11,129
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
The best was the n63 upgrade. Beat exhaust note! My wife literally called in therapy!

(For clarity we upgraded the 3.0i to a 50i X5)

The second best: n55 in the 35i. That one I can use the bimmerlink app to open the second exhaust pipe and it sounds very nice.

Def look into whatever mod it will take. I'm looking into adding a vent on wife's F10 (535 x-drive) becusse she doesn't have the exhaust flap I do it just must have a quieter muffler and both tips active.

305 HP and gets 25.5 avg mpg! Over 50% better than our 3.0i and 35% better than I usually get with same motor in my X5.

Back to topic; for a manual option, installing a plumbing fitting with a simple ball valve was the easy option. I think the guy used a 1/2" or 3/4" ball valve. I can't remember what he uses as the bung, because cast is hard to weld and stainless isn't a cake walk either
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 425
Serb404 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
The best was the n63 upgrade. Beat exhaust note! My wife literally called in therapy!

(For clarity we upgraded the 3.0i to a 50i X5)

The second best: n55 in the 35i. That one I can use the bimmerlink app to open the second exhaust pipe and it sounds very nice.

Def look into whatever mod it will take. I'm looking into adding a vent on wife's F10 (535 x-drive) becusse she doesn't have the exhaust flap I do it just must have a quieter muffler and both tips active.

305 HP and gets 25.5 avg mpg! Over 50% better than our 3.0i and 35% better than I usually get with same motor in my X5.

Back to topic; for a manual option, installing a plumbing fitting with a simple ball valve was the easy option. I think the guy used a 1/2" or 3/4" ball valve. I can't remember what he uses as the bung, because cast is hard to weld and stainless isn't a cake walk either
thanks buddy, I'll look into that, I was hoping someone would just say you can use the 2.5 vibrant resonators and I should be fine lol found a good deal on fb marketplace
__________________
2004 E53 3.0i 185K Miles
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-28-2023, 10:06 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 11,129
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
For a preview pull out one of the post cat O₂ sensors.

Yeah not trying to put a damper on the thought of doing a proper replacement resonator just sharing a thought based on a YouTube video I saw recently and my own desire to pump up my wife's F10 muted exhaust.

She went from X5 e70 50i with the most amazing "exhaust note therapy" to almost Lexus quiet F10 exhaust.

You can hear the exhaust note on heavy throttle and it even sounds good. Just sounds much good-er on my X5 with the exhaust flap open.
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-28-2023, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 425
Serb404 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
For a preview pull out one of the post cat O₂ sensors.

Yeah not trying to put a damper on the thought of doing a proper replacement resonator just sharing a thought based on a YouTube video I saw recently and my own desire to pump up my wife's F10 muted exhaust.

She went from X5 e70 50i with the most amazing "exhaust note therapy" to almost Lexus quiet F10 exhaust.

You can hear the exhaust note on heavy throttle and it even sounds good. Just sounds much good-er on my X5 with the exhaust flap open.
this is basically what I want to do but with the 3.0i, I already have an xpipe installed and the 4.6 mufflers on my E53

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...deo-4-6is.html
__________________
2004 E53 3.0i 185K Miles
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-28-2023, 10:19 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 11,129
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serb404 View Post
this is basically what I want to do but with the 3.0i, I already have an xpipe
Better yet! You already have a perfect spot for the vent. You can add a solenoid control vent and you can start with a bigger hole and add a reducing insert if it's too big.

My first test with the open flap I just unplugged the vacuum line and put a screw in it. I could manipulate the flap open/closed manually and I figured out that 3 or 4 hours is the limit before it gives me a headache. Fortunately I discovered I can perform the function with bimmerlink so I set it to auto for freeway driving and open the rest of the time.
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-28-2023, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 425
Serb404 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Better yet! You already have a perfect spot for the vent. You can add a solenoid control vent and you can start with a bigger hole and add a reducing insert if it's too big.

My first test with the open flap I just unplugged the vacuum line and put a screw in it. I could manipulate the flap open/closed manually and I figured out that 3 or 4 hours is the limit before it gives me a headache. Fortunately I discovered I can perform the function with bimmerlink so I set it to auto for freeway driving and open the rest of the time.
simplicity is key here I'm not trying to break the bank but I appreciate the suggestion lol
__________________
2004 E53 3.0i 185K Miles
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-28-2023, 11:06 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 11,129
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Please share what you end up doing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.