Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   The Official Anybrand Android Radio setup thread. (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/109601-official-anybrand-android-radio-setup-thread.html)

PropellerHead 01-09-2019 02:31 AM

The Official Anybrand Android Radio setup thread.
 
The idea here is to share what you've done with your Android radio and to talk about how. There's a ton of information here about the installs, speakers, and amps. But I'd like to hear more from the community about how they're making their Android radio experience their own.

For me, I just yesterday discovered a widget for my home alarm system app. Like nearly any smart home interface, our alarm system app allows custom 'scenes'. I have one that sets one of 2 thermostats (where I spend most of the day in a home office). It opens our electric gate, and disarms the alarm system. I use this every day at least once. It's super nice to have the gate open, alarm not screaming on entry, and at night, when the opened gate triggers the perimeter and garage lights, a nice, bright path to the door.

The widget prevents me from having to open the app, navigate to the scene I want, and then confirm I wish for it to do what I have asked. Pictured below, the widget when pressed simply triggers a visual outer circle on the icon and begins the routine. This is WAY easier than the multiple clicks above while driving. :thumbup:

https://xoutpost.com/attachments/tes...link-radio.jpg
Another handy widget is the one for the I-Bus app. Shown to the right above, it populates the items I select from within the app and displays them on a smaller section, sharing the home screen with my other most often used items.

Finally, I really do like the Google calendar widget. We've been running off a calendar for family events like sports, dances, dates, dining, dalliance, and pretty much every other thing we do around here. It's great to see the calendar updated automatically as you start out and about for the day.

Then there's Torque. I have only recently been working with it, but I would like to create an environment where it periodically uploads trip data. I would like to retrieve it and analyze it- or at least know that I can. I see custom widgets for it and have no idea how to make the best use of all the data we have access to. If anyone can offer step x steps on the first cool things to get that started, I'd like to see that here.

So what're YOU doing with your Android head unit that you really like? What do you use *every* day beyond what comes with it? And if your application is standard, how are you using it and finding it so cool day after day? I'm dying to learn more about what others find cool.

Crowz 01-09-2019 04:37 AM

I'll contribute when I get a radio into the one I just bought. Wife has the e53 with the android so I don't get to mess with it anymore since I drive the 2013 with the factory radio right now.

EODguy 01-09-2019 06:10 AM

Great thread idea!!

For some reason I now can't change widgets on my dash/home display only delete/reinstall and I'm running the latest oreo 8.1 or 8.? so just in case it's that watch having auto update on!!

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Overboost 01-09-2019 08:39 AM

Great thread idea. This will be good reading for a lot of members. :thumbup:

semcoinc 01-09-2019 10:04 AM

Great thread Prop :thumbup:

I'm an early Android adopter with the Eonon GA6166 that had a puny 1GB RAM PX3 SoM (System on Motherboard) with Android 5.0. I upgraded this unit to a more robust 4GB RAM PX5 SoM from WITSON on Ali Express.

I highly recommend that any Android head unit buyer not consider anything less than at least 2GB RAM. With basic apps running on my original 1GB system I was near 80% utilization of RAM and app response was very anemic.

My 4GB system is very snappy with however many apps I want to run.

Also, the iBus app and USB stick hardware is a must have IMHO to preserve and improve access to the OBC and offers minor coding functionality.

I would encourage anyone thinking of the upgrade to buy as much head unit as your budget allows and even stretch a little because a subsequent upgrade could mean dragging that long FAKRA cable from the spare tire all the way to the dash all over again :wow: , which is not a pleasant exercise.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A-...=w1144-h858-no

You'll also greatly benefit from speaker upgrades with your new head unit and search will give you threads on great ideas from Xoutpost on successful speaker upgrade selections.

Mike

mr_robot 01-09-2019 10:25 AM

Wouldn't the long farka harness have to be only done once?

All these units have their own harness coming from the unit so it's their harness to a farka adapter to farka extension isn't it?

So as long as you place the headunit to farka adapter either behind the dash/glove box you can keep the extension cable in place like a modular wiring harness system.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

semcoinc 01-09-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_robot (Post 1151541)
Wouldn't the long farka harness have to be only done once?

All these units have their own harness coming from the unit so it's their harness to a farka adapter to farka extension isn't it?

So as long as you place the headunit to farka adapter either behind the dash/glove box you can keep the extension cable in place like a modular wiring harness system.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish that were true and for some systems it might be :dunno:

However, the head unit upgrades that I have looked at have slightly different pin connections and rear connector block geometry on the back of the head unit. Personally, I'm not keen on a re-pinning project with an existing cable.

Other folks may be more comfortable with that kind of project work. :dunno:

Mike

PropellerHead 01-09-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semcoinc (Post 1151542)
However, the head unit upgrades that I have looked at have slightly different pin connections and rear connector block geometry on the back of the head unit.

This was true in the E46 Eonon units I swapped. I really thought I'd be able to switch the 4 or 5 month old unit with its replacement. But nyoooooo... :banghead:

The upside is that once you do that work, the 2nd go 'round is a *lot* faster. But it was still a ginormous PITA.

Edit:

And Semco: I'm totally jelly of your MPG. :(

semcoinc 01-09-2019 02:21 PM

:bustingup

Which is why I'm reluctantly staying with my Eonon GM5150 windows unit in the E46. It has been remarkably stable after a couple of initial firmware fixes though.

But let it give me one hiccup and I'll drag another cable in there and do the Android w/iBus.

So much better to use the phone hotspot to feed the head unit and bring in the apps from there as opposed to BT streaming (in my experience). I also think the fidelity of a resident app (at least in my E53 Eonon head unit) is better than streaming to BT in the E46 windows unit. :dunno:

I think my E53 MPG sux :( considering it is mostly I35E driving. I was hoping for closer to 21 but even with an egg under my right foot I can't muster more than 19-20 in a steady interstate speed for about 16 miles.

Mike

Loperamide 01-11-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semcoinc (Post 1151538)
Great thread Prop :thumbup:

I'm an early Android adopter with the Eonon GA6166 that had a puny 1GB RAM PX3 SoM (System on Motherboard) with Android 5.0. I upgraded this unit to a more robust 4GB RAM PX5 SoM from WITSON on Ali Express.

I highly recommend that any Android head unit buyer not consider anything less than at least 2GB RAM. With basic apps running on my original 1GB system I was near 80% utilization of RAM and app response was very anemic.

My 4GB system is very snappy with however many apps I want to run.

Also, the iBus app and USB stick hardware is a must have IMHO to preserve and improve access to the OBC and offers minor coding functionality.

I would encourage anyone thinking of the upgrade to buy as much head unit as your budget allows and even stretch a little because a subsequent upgrade could mean dragging that long FAKRA cable from the spare tire all the way to the dash all over again :wow: , which is not a pleasant exercise.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A-...=w1144-h858-no

You'll also greatly benefit from speaker upgrades with your new head unit and search will give you threads on great ideas from Xoutpost on successful speaker upgrade selections.

Mike

The Oil Temp. on my IBUS app now only shows dashes (---). It did used to show the temp until up to a few weeks ago.

Would you know why this is? Where is the Oil Temp monitored?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.