Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW Related Forums > Detailing Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2015, 04:00 PM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,475
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Pre-Soak Product for Pressure Washer

I just picked up a Karcher K2.360 unit, decided after 30 yrs of hand washing vehicles it's about time to make the job easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Electr.../dp/B009RA2H82

That unit without the car wash kit, don't need the brushes & soap, and the only thing I would use that sponge is for grouting a bathroom!!!

I've seen many products on the market and figured I would post here to see what works for you guys.

Thanks in advance, James.

Update; Just unboxed and does NOT come with "snow foam lance", had to order one to do Pre-soak.......

http://www.buykarcher.com/product_de...+KARALLACC&hdr=

Need that to do this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkhoAAmB60
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!

Last edited by TiAgX5; 04-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
motordavid's Avatar
RetiredBum & Semi-RenaissanceMan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mtns of Western NC, & SW FLA
Posts: 16,748
motordavid will become famous soon enoughmotordavid will become famous soon enough
I use a pressure washer on my driveway, and on the lanai...not sure I would fire up my pressure washer to wash the cars.

I still hand wash, and the outside spigot hose pressure is good enough for me.

That pw is ~1600...I have one that is just under 2k: it will take the surface off of a brick paver, close in.
GL, mD
__________________
Ol'UncleMotor
From the Home Base of Pro Bono Punditry
and 50 Cent Opins...

Our Mtn Scenes, Car Pics, and Road Trip Pics on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627297418250/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627332480833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My X Page




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
SMOKEY53's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 539
SMOKEY53 is on a distinguished road
I've got the same Karcher as you purchased.

When you say 'pre-soak' - are you talking about adding a foam lance to the Karcher?

Foam lance is what I'd use ideally for a pre-soak. The snow foam loosens then lifts all the dirt and debris off the paint, meaning you don't have to agitate with a wash mitt (so no scratching). Get a quality lance, not the plastic Karcher one. Auto-Brite have a quality lance but there are many other rebranded versions of the same thing.

You need a snow foam solution - I use Auto-Brite Magifoam, works well, but the dwell time is insane - it will literally be on your driveway in big foamy blobs for hours afterwards.

I've heard that Optimum No Rinse (ONR) works well in a foam lance - I'll be trying this next as it's uses are endless - bucket wash, snow foam, detail spray etc.

My process is:

High pressure hose the car - snow foam the car with lance - high pressure hose it down - two bucket wash method - water sheet to rinse - leaf blower dry - mop up residue with large waffle weave towel.

Black cars need that level of attention - but with my silver car it's a lot more forgiving!
__________________
2005 3.0d Sport - Sapphire Black
Engine : Bluefin Superchip Tune,
Wheels & Sus: Style 168s (10.5s all round), H&R RDA Spacers, Bilstein B12, Eibach 40mm drop, Whiteline RSB
Exterior: Le Mans flares, 4.6is kit F&R
Interior: Dynavin N6, Blackvue DR650 dash cams

My Build Thread: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...run-sheet.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,475
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I use a pressure washer on my driveway, and on the lanai...not sure I would fire up my pressure washer to wash the cars.

I still hand wash, and the outside spigot hose pressure is good enough for me.

That pw is ~1600...I have one that is just under 2k: it will take the surface off of a brick paver, close in.
GL, mD
I have a gas powered Honda GX-270 (3800psi & 2.5gpm), for cleaning the pool deck & tile/patio, sidewalks/driveway, house brick.....with nozzle around 6ft from surface, would strip the paint off the X if I used it!

Bought the electric Karcher 1600psi just for vehicle/lawn equipment cleaning. I will start with nozzle around 3ft away and go from there (rather leave some grime during first use vs causing damage).

Upon unboxing I found it contains the car wash kit, included a 12oz bottle of Karcher wash & wax, guess I will try that first.
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!

Last edited by TiAgX5; 04-30-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,475
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY53 View Post
I've got the same Karcher as you purchased.

When you say 'pre-soak' - are you talking about adding a foam lance to the Karcher?

Foam lance is what I'd use ideally for a pre-soak. The snow foam loosens then lifts all the dirt and debris off the paint, meaning you don't have to agitate with a wash mitt (so no scratching). Get a quality lance, not the plastic Karcher one. Auto-Brite have a quality lance but there are many other rebranded versions of the same thing.

You need a snow foam solution - I use Auto-Brite Magifoam, works well, but the dwell time is insane - it will literally be on your driveway in big foamy blobs for hours afterwards.

I've heard that Optimum No Rinse (ONR) works well in a foam lance - I'll be trying this next as it's uses are endless - bucket wash, snow foam, detail spray etc.

My process is:

High pressure hose the car - snow foam the car with lance - high pressure hose it down - two bucket wash method - water sheet to rinse - leaf blower dry - mop up residue with large waffle weave towel.

Black cars need that level of attention - but with my silver car it's a lot more forgiving!
Thanks Smokey.

I guess I'm "on the hook" with the Karcher foam lance, Karacher has already shipped it out. If I don't like the results I will purchase the Auto-Brite snow foam lance (seen a few demo vids online, that thing makes tons of foam (2oz of solution BURIES a car in a foam mountain!).

Will look into MagiFoam & ONR solution retailers online.

Thanks for the rundown on your process, I will follow these directions.

Looking forward to using this, should cut the car cleaning time by around 80%.
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
James, I have some advice, buy the MTM foam cannon if you are going to soap up the vehicle, this one even comes with the proper Karcher fitting and is designed for Electric PW's.

I just bought a Ryobi 1700psi 1.2 gpm from Home Depot for $128 with a 20% off HF coupon used. Has aluminum pump, brass fittings, and 3 year warranty. Amazing value. Comes with Turbo nozzle, 15 degree, and a soap dispensing nozzle.

I am looking to improve my time and efficiency, as well as use less water. So when I do a pre-rinse, then foam the car, then rinse again. Then I disconnect the hose from the PW, connect my hose end foam gun (Griots or Gilmour), use one bucket as a "rinse" bucket, and just shoot suds into my wash media using the foam gun. Sounds like it takes a while but actually with shut off valves and QC's on the hose, PW, and gun, its probably a 15 minute process to get the whole X done.

Then I disconnect the gun, hook up the gentle rinse nozzle to the PW, and give a final rinse. I do the wheels/tires separately usually and before the actual wash (those do take longer)

We have been speaking on a detailing forum lately about touchless car cleaning, and with a max of 1600psi, you should be able to foam up the vehicle, and if keeping the turbo tip 6 feet or so away from the paint you can probably let the tip and machine do the work for you, doing a touchless wash that is.

Here is the link for the MTM Hydro lance:

MTM Hydro Professional 2600 PSI Adjustable Foamer | eBay

I also have been theorizing lately that I can most likely use an electric leaf blower to blow-dry the car, just need to put a foam filter by the intake in order to make it "filtered" air. Would love to have a Master Blaster to blowdry but not shelling out $400 to do so.
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,475
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
James, I have some advice, buy the MTM foam cannon if you are going to soap up the vehicle, this one even comes with the proper Karcher fitting and is designed for Electric PW's.

I just bought a Ryobi 1700psi 1.2 gpm from Home Depot for $128 with a 20% off HF coupon used. Has aluminum pump, brass fittings, and 3 year warranty. Amazing value. Comes with Turbo nozzle, 15 degree, and a soap dispensing nozzle.

I am looking to improve my time and efficiency, as well as use less water. So when I do a pre-rinse, then foam the car, then rinse again. Then I disconnect the hose from the PW, connect my hose end foam gun (Griots or Gilmour), use one bucket as a "rinse" bucket, and just shoot suds into my wash media using the foam gun. Sounds like it takes a while but actually with shut off valves and QC's on the hose, PW, and gun, its probably a 15 minute process to get the whole X done.

Then I disconnect the gun, hook up the gentle rinse nozzle to the PW, and give a final rinse. I do the wheels/tires separately usually and before the actual wash (those do take longer)

We have been speaking on a detailing forum lately about touchless car cleaning, and with a max of 1600psi, you should be able to foam up the vehicle, and if keeping the turbo tip 6 feet or so away from the paint you can probably let the tip and machine do the work for you, doing a touchless wash that is.

Here is the link for the MTM Hydro lance:

MTM Hydro Professional 2600 PSI Adjustable Foamer | eBay

I also have been theorizing lately that I can most likely use an electric leaf blower to blow-dry the car, just need to put a foam filter by the intake in order to make it "filtered" air. Would love to have a Master Blaster to blowdry but not shelling out $400 to do so.
Thanks RB.

That MTM lance looks good (shoots thick foam 20ft!).

I've actually fabbed a foam filter for my gas powerd, 220mph Echo backpack blower. I attempted to used it after a wash 2 weeks ago and found I need the Echo rain gutter kit (2 additional 3ft tubes. 90deg elbow, 1ft tube and flat nozzle), getting the roof & rails blown off is a PITA (even up on a 3 step folding ladder).

I figure if I get a good coat of wax on the X, and "touchless" wash/blow dry every week or 2, the time/effort/water consumption will be reduced.

I got the Karcher unit from Walmart, $130.
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!

Last edited by TiAgX5; 04-30-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Ricky Bobby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 9,332
Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Yes the MTM is great, that will give you the shaving cream suds.

I've used my Redmax EBZ7500 to blowdry the engine before and it works great but is bulky with the long hose to get the roof, etc so I don't use it on the whole car.

I am looking into 6 hp electric leaf blowers and using a concentrator nozzle from the gutter kit to blowdry.

Btw, bought the gutter cleaning kit from Ridgid for my 16 gal 5hp vac we use in the bunny room, and its the best $30 I ever invested in. I get all my gutters completely cleaned out with only using a 6 ft. ladder and no mess and cleanup on the ground. Amazing.
__________________
2003 X5 3.0i 5-Speed - Born on 9/18/2003
105k miles -Topaz Blue/Schwarz/Titan Int. Trim/EHCII/Sport
Proud 3-Pedal owner, UUC SS/AFE/4.8iS Exhaust/Sharked
2013 X5 35D (CEO's) - Born on 5/17/2013 -
68k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM
TiAgX5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coppell,TX
Posts: 3,475
TiAgX5 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, funny how I've needed the Echo gutter kit, for the intended use, for years.

Now that I'm going touchless cleaning with the X, it's ordered. Screwy priorities?
__________________
'03 X5 4.4 Sport, last of the M62s (8-03 build date)
I believe in deadication to craftmanship in a world of mediocrity!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 PM
SMOKEY53's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 539
SMOKEY53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
James, I have some advice, buy the MTM foam cannon if you are going to soap up the vehicle, this one even comes with the proper Karcher fitting and is designed for Electric PW's.

Yep, that MTM unit looks the good - and most likely same as the AB snow foam gun. As I said in my post, there are plenty of branded versions of the same unit. They're made in Italy, excellent quality. See how you go with the Karcher supplied unit, but you can really get some nice creamy foam with the adjustment feature on the MTM/AB/etc units.





This chick loves the snow foam.....

__________________
2005 3.0d Sport - Sapphire Black
Engine : Bluefin Superchip Tune,
Wheels & Sus: Style 168s (10.5s all round), H&R RDA Spacers, Bilstein B12, Eibach 40mm drop, Whiteline RSB
Exterior: Le Mans flares, 4.6is kit F&R
Interior: Dynavin N6, Blackvue DR650 dash cams

My Build Thread: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...run-sheet.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.