Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #961  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: US
Posts: 40
E39LV is on a distinguished road
I love the color blue and the look of the E53. I have a very very high mileage e39 with the M62 that I'm ready to move on from. Seems like the 4.8 is going to give me the closest experience to what I've been used to in my E39. Can anybody speak to their experience with oil leaks I've been reading about on these engines in much older posts please?
My budget takes me into the very early years of the F15'S but I'm reading about problems with the E70 V8's and don't want to exhaust my budget on an F15 if those problems were carried forward into the F15'S. Obviously newer with lowest miles is best but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy a similar experience as I would with the 4.8 given I love the power and feel of my E39. Any thoughts?


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #962  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:49 PM
CleanIsFast's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 891
CleanIsFast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39LV View Post
I love the color blue and the look of the E53. I have a very very high mileage e39 with the M62 that I'm ready to move on from. Seems like the 4.8 is going to give me the closest experience to what I've been used to in my E39. Can anybody speak to their experience with oil leaks I've been reading about on these engines in much older posts please?
My budget takes me into the very early years of the F15'S but I'm reading about problems with the E70 V8's and don't want to exhaust my budget on an F15 if those problems were carried forward into the F15'S. Obviously newer with lowest miles is best but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy a similar experience as I would with the 4.8 given I love the power and feel of my E39. Any thoughts?


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I've owned E39 M5 (S62), E53 4.6iS (M62) and now a 4.8iS (N62). I would agree that you will have a very similar experience moving from an E39 to E53. Both are great chassis' and provide you with that analog experience. 4.8iS can be notorious for suspension woes (self leveling, 4 corner air ride), valve stem seal issues (but this common on all N62 as well so E70 included). I wouldn't say the 4.8iS is any worse than an E39 in terms of maintenance. The power and feel of the 4.8iS is great!
__________________
BMW X5 4.6iS Registry
BMW X5 4.8iS Registry

2009 BMW M3 E90
2006 E53 X5 4.8iS - SOLD
2002 E46 M3 Convertible - SOLD
2006 E46 M3 ZCP - SOLD
2000 E39 ///M5 - SOLD
2003 E53 X5 4.6iS - SOLD
2006 E83 X3 3.0i MSport - SOLD
2000 E46 323Ci - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #963  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:55 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,860
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39LV View Post
I love the color blue and the look of the E53. I have a very very high mileage e39 with the M62 that I'm ready to move on from. Seems like the 4.8 is going to give me the closest experience to what I've been used to in my E39. Can anybody speak to their experience with oil leaks I've been reading about on these engines in much older posts please?
My budget takes me into the very early years of the F15'S but I'm reading about problems with the E70 V8's and don't want to exhaust my budget on an F15 if those problems were carried forward into the F15'S. Obviously newer with lowest miles is best but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy a similar experience as I would with the 4.8 given I love the power and feel of my E39. Any thoughts?
If you go with a 4.8is E53 it will have the same N62 V8 that is in the E70's. They share the same problems. Valve stem seals, alternator bracket seal leak, coolant crossover pipe, etc. I have no experience with the F15 V8's but I think the E70 V8 is the last generation V8 (in terms of complexity) that I will own. Unless I hit the lotto. The N62, while complex, is serviceable. The E53 is very E39 like... both in drive and interior so it should feel like home to you.

Edit: CleanisFast beat me to it.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #964  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: US
Posts: 40
E39LV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
If you go with a 4.8is E53 it will have the same N62 V8 that is in the E70's. They share the same problems. Valve stem seals, alternator bracket seal leak, coolant crossover pipe, etc. I have no experience with the F15 V8's but I think the E70 V8 is the last generation V8 (in terms of complexity) that I will own. Unless I hit the lotto. The N62, while complex, is serviceable. The E53 is very E39 like... both in drive and interior so it should feel like home to you.

Edit: CleanisFast beat me to it.
LOL Thanks guys! I'm being steered towards the N55 but it's a 6 cylinder Turbo. I just don't know if I could live with that... I know maintenance wise it's probably a no brainer versus of these V8's. I guess one of the considerations is at what point do these problems started occurring in the 4.8? I mean finding one with low miles would be a needle in a haystack, and even then the owner would probably want E70 money...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #965  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM
CleanIsFast's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 891
CleanIsFast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39LV View Post
LOL Thanks guys! I'm being steered towards the N55 but it's a 6 cylinder Turbo. I just don't know if I could live with that... I know maintenance wise it's probably a no brainer versus of these V8's. I guess one of the considerations is at what point do these problems started occurring in the 4.8? I mean finding one with low miles would be a needle in a haystack, and even then the owner would probably want E70 money...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Depends on your definition of low mileage. There was a board member here who scored one with uber low miles but he definitely shelled out big bucks for it. They typically float around $8-12k for decent examples. For better examples with decently low miles I would say $15-18k.
__________________
BMW X5 4.6iS Registry
BMW X5 4.8iS Registry

2009 BMW M3 E90
2006 E53 X5 4.8iS - SOLD
2002 E46 M3 Convertible - SOLD
2006 E46 M3 ZCP - SOLD
2000 E39 ///M5 - SOLD
2003 E53 X5 4.6iS - SOLD
2006 E83 X3 3.0i MSport - SOLD
2000 E46 323Ci - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #966  
Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,860
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39LV View Post
LOL Thanks guys! I'm being steered towards the N55 but it's a 6 cylinder Turbo. I just don't know if I could live with that... I know maintenance wise it's probably a no brainer versus of these V8's. I guess one of the considerations is at what point do these problems started occurring in the 4.8? I mean finding one with low miles would be a needle in a haystack, and even then the owner would probably want E70 money...
I am of the mind that I would much rather buy a well maintained higher mileage vehicle than a lower mileage vehicle that has not had major maintenance done yet. But opinions vary on that. The main benefit of a lower mileage vehicle is the body is typically in better shape cosmetically. But mechanically, they can often be in worse shape due to still being on the almost 15 year old OE parts. What you are going to be willing to pay (or should pay) is going to depend heavily on the particular vehicle. I overpaid for mine because of all the Dinan stuff it had on it. Paid $15k @ 90,000 miles. Has treated me fairly well but have spend $4000 on it in parts over 3.5 years. Your value proposition will be a personal one.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #967  
Old 05-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: US
Posts: 40
E39LV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I am of the mind that I would much rather buy a well maintained higher mileage vehicle than a lower mileage vehicle that has not had major maintenance done yet. But opinions vary on that. The main benefit of a lower mileage vehicle is the body is typically in better shape cosmetically. But mechanically, they can often be in worse shape due to still being on the almost 15 year old OE parts. What you are going to be willing to pay (or should pay) is going to depend heavily on the particular vehicle. I overpaid for mine because of all the Dinan stuff it had on it. Paid $15k @ 90,000 miles. Has treated me fairly well but have spend $4000 on it in parts over 3.5 years. Your value proposition will be a personal one.
Respectable insight. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #968  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:39 PM
CleanIsFast's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 891
CleanIsFast is on a distinguished road
Estoril for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254225983743?ul_noapp=true
__________________
BMW X5 4.6iS Registry
BMW X5 4.8iS Registry

2009 BMW M3 E90
2006 E53 X5 4.8iS - SOLD
2002 E46 M3 Convertible - SOLD
2006 E46 M3 ZCP - SOLD
2000 E39 ///M5 - SOLD
2003 E53 X5 4.6iS - SOLD
2006 E83 X3 3.0i MSport - SOLD
2000 E46 323Ci - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #969  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Orion Arm
Posts: 100
X5M-ISH is on a distinguished road
I drove an e39 540i M-Sport with the six-speed manual and legit GF VIN code (only around 1000 imported to North America for the one-off year of 2003). Recently I picked up a 2006 4.8is. Aside from the obvious difference in the transmissions, the overall feel of these two respective vehicles are very close.

For how much this thing weighs, I am impressed at how capable it is with cornering and acceleration (especially in sport mode). The brakes leave a bit to desire. Driving position is taking me a bit to get used to with these comfort seats as all my prior BMWs have had sport seats but this is moreso a personal issue and not a blight on fuction or design.

The engine bay has tons of room. Getting in there is easy compared to my e39. The front cabin area has much more room but eh, ones a car ones a truck. Rear cabin room is about the same. The cabin layout is very close to the e39 and aside from a few options my M Sport didnt have, familiarity is there. Same ol tape deck, folding nav screen, dsp; all the same.

Visibility is enhanced because your driving position is elevated higher from the road surface and your FOV is better while blind spots are reduced. The park sensors are a great option and I am glad BMW put the passenger side tilt mirror in this model. The 4.8is is a big vehicle but since youre coming from an e39, you will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #970  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,860
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Decently rare color combo on this 4.8is. Seems pretty fairly priced if the mechanicals are in fair shape. No affiliation, just an FYI to anyone looking. LeMans blue over truffle sport leather (can't tell if nappa or dakota leather).

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...890256988.html



__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.