Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
gnathologist is on a distinguished road
Malfunction Lights for Christmas...

Hello guys,

I have a 2011 X5 35i with 20,000 miles and just in the past two days I received multiple malfunction messages.

Just happened without any warnings. It can be a very dangerous situation as you will lose steering and braking.

The warnings were (all happened within 10 mins between turning the vehicle on and off):

Engine malfunction/reduced power mode
Braking/chasis stabilization malfunction
ABS malfunction
Parking brake malfunction
Rear light malfunction
Warning that I can change gear without depressing brake pedal

My X5 was perfectly normal until last night. I've had the software recall updated about 3,000 miles prior to these incidents.

As I searched this forum about the issues that I've been having, it appears that I'm not the only one...I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to find out what is going on, but i'm a bit worried that they don't have a long term solution for this.

If someone with similar experiences can chime in and share your solutions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 AM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,688
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnathologist View Post
...but i'm a bit worried that they don't have a long term solution for this.

If someone with similar experiences can chime in and share your solutions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
What are you talking about???

This is your first post, your first time with a single failure, and 'you are concerned that they don't have a long term solution'?!?? OMFG

Everybody is a victim these days.

Take it in, get it fixed, stop whining.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Meiac09's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,227
Meiac09 is on a distinguished road
I got the same 4x4 warning on my 325xi after the battery went flat and I recharged it. Did the malfunctions persist or did they go away? As much as I hated getting the messages, I never saw them again after 5 minutes of letting it idle or driving around the block.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 391
Richard in NC is on a distinguished road
Agreed, I got the ABS warning when my 550i alternator was going bad.
__________________
Richard
Sir Snaps-a-lot, 9 Time Dragon Slayer (54 runs!)
2011 X5 50i Alpine White, Biege Nappa /Lt Poplar M Sport
2009 Z4 35i, Black Sapphire/Ivory-Black/Anthracite

Gone but not forgotten: '08 550i, '06 X3, '06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM
FSETH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 5,303
FSETH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiac09 View Post
I got the same 4x4 warning on my 325xi after the battery went flat and I recharged it. Did the malfunctions persist or did they go away? As much as I hated getting the messages, I never saw them again after 5 minutes of letting it idle or driving around the block.
Got similar warning in my 02 4.4i. Put it on a battery tender and it never came back.
__________________
Profeshenal spellar
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
gnathologist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What are you talking about???

This is your first post, your first time with a single failure, and 'you are concerned that they don't have a long term solution'?!?? OMFG

Everybody is a victim these days.

Take it in, get it fixed, stop whining.
I find your response very offensive and immature. If you have nothing positive to contribute, I suggest you stay out of this thread. Just because this is my first thread, it doesn't mean I haven't been around.

Single failure? Definitive solutions? Look at the history of all the common major and repeating problems from BMW.

SMG issues
Subframe issues
Vanos Issues
Rod bearing issues

Some of the above problems are major problems that BMW and trusting customers are still dealing with. Why do you think so many people are dumping the M5's before the warranty runs out?

Everybody is a victim these days? Please. I suggest you deal with your problems in your own room and wipe off your tears before posting in a public forum.

I also suggest you change your attitude and maybe then, your life can be a bit more fulfilling.

I don't appreciate spending over $65,000 on a brand new vehicle to protect my family and find out it could potentially place my wife and children in a dangerous situation. If you don't have a family, I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. Again, keep your mouth shut so that this thread can be helpful to other members.

To other members, I thank you all for your contributions. I have taken my X5 to the dealership today and I'm waiting to hear about potential diagnoses and fixes. I have provided them with all the pictures of the malfunction lights and videos of all the problems.

As soon as I hear anything from the dealership, I will update the status.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
rh71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LI | NY
Posts: 3,921
rh71 is on a distinguished road
ignore Ard.
__________________
'08 X5 3.0si - Alpine White / Saddle Brown interior
Specs: Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Comfort Access, Aero Kit, Style 433 staggered 20s on Conti DWS
Mods: Carbon 35 tint, LED angel eyes, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, H&R 20mm/25mm spacers, clear reflectors, gunsmoke-tinted taillights
Coded: Digital speedo, windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

X5 pics at Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
TRAINER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 391
TRAINER is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I had the same exact fault codes happen to me. Mine went away on its own and never came back. The dealer couldn't find a stored fault code on it either - that was strange. Good luck with yours.

As far as the "TARD" aka, ARD, ignor him and he eventually goes away, like a 3 year old child that needs a nap!
__________________
2011 X5 50i Titanium Silver, Full black nappa, bamboo, premium, sport, 20's, tech, prem. sound, comfort..
------------------------------------------------
2006 BMW X5 4.8is - SILVER - SOLD - Pic page
------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 72
buckeyewalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnathologist View Post
I find your response very offensive and immature. If you have nothing positive to contribute, I suggest you stay out of this thread. Just because this is my first thread, it doesn't mean I haven't been around.

Single failure? Definitive solutions? Look at the history of all the common major and repeating problems from BMW.

SMG issues
Subframe issues
Vanos Issues
Rod bearing issues

Some of the above problems are major problems that BMW and trusting customers are still dealing with. Why do you think so many people are dumping the M5's before the warranty runs out?

Everybody is a victim these days? Please. I suggest you deal with your problems in your own room and wipe off your tears before posting in a public forum.

I also suggest you change your attitude and maybe then, your life can be a bit more fulfilling.

I don't appreciate spending over $65,000 on a brand new vehicle to protect my family and find out it could potentially place my wife and children in a dangerous situation. If you don't have a family, I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. Again, keep your mouth shut so that this thread can be helpful to other members.

To other members, I thank you all for your contributions. I have taken my X5 to the dealership today and I'm waiting to hear about potential diagnoses and fixes. I have provided them with all the pictures of the malfunction lights and videos of all the problems.

As soon as I hear anything from the dealership, I will update the status.
Please do update us with the status...this is my first BMW,,,,I too have a X5, but unlike yours,, mine is a 50i, don't know if issues with yours are related in anyway with mine, (different powertrain). Hopefully it is not too serious and just a glitch,,,,as far as the other issues you mentioned so far, I have not had any issues yet,,,,at 16,000+ miles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: northern neck of Va
Posts: 12
hardcrab is on a distinguished road
FWIW- My battery died Christmas day. I'm 450 miles from home and was planning to go back that day. Tried jump starting- even after getting it running it wouldn't go in to gear- error message only. NOTHING was open to get a replacement battery, not BMW roadside (could provide a jump- no battery available until Tuesday), AAA (open but didn't have one to fit), auto parts store, etc. I don't blame them, it's Christmas day.

Finally got a new battery yesterday- installed it, started the car, and got alot of error messages, including some you have (4x4 warning). After running a few seconds and putting it in to gear all the error messages went away- only thing I had to do was reset the clock.

Could your battery have been low or is it weak? Once I got full voltage everything resolved.

By the way, with the battery dead the back hatch (electric switch) wouldn't open to access it, nor would the glove box open to get to the manual. I had to get a jump start to open the hatch to get to the battery (and my jumper cables which are beside the spare tire!!)
__________________
Bluesharp.... if you don't blow, you suck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.