Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   What did you do to / for your E53 today?? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/78921-what-did-you-do-your-e53-today.html)

snik 12-21-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifty150hs (Post 1149860)
Put UV dye in it and get a black light flashlight. That's how I found my leaks.



Just buy it at the auto store?
Do I need coolant specific dye?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucephalus 12-21-2018 09:00 PM

Disappearing coolant; could the coolant be seeping into the cylinders, burning?

crystalworks 12-21-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucephalus (Post 1149862)
Disappearing coolant; could the coolant be seeping into the cylinders, burning?

Oh man... don't jinx him like that. :D

snik 12-21-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucephalus (Post 1149862)
Disappearing coolant; could the coolant be seeping into the cylinders, burning?



Like a blown or leaking head gasket?
There's no reason to think it's doing that. It's never overheated either. The wife isn't a motorhead, but she is 110% clear on the dangers of that needle hitting the red.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewwynn 12-21-2018 10:09 PM

The UV will help find the leak. Both times mine and wife's expansion tank leaked it was so subtle at first never saw a drop just magically low on coolant.

The crack on wife's was not on a seam, but on the rounded corner. Absolutely invisible crack until I filled to top and the car was still over 212/100 and boiled created pressure and a 5mm stream poured out of the now barely visible hairline crack.

Put some paper towel around the reservoir and drive until you get full temp you should get enough pressure to make the paper damp and show a little color.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snik 12-21-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1149867)
The UV will help find the leak. Both times mine and wife's expansion tank leaked it was so subtle at first never saw a drop just magically low on coolant.

The crack on wife's was not on a seam, but on the rounded corner. Absolutely invisible crack until I filled to top and the car was still over 212/100 and boiled created pressure and a 5mm stream poured out of the now barely visible hairline crack.

Put some paper towel around the reservoir and drive until you get full temp you should get enough pressure to make the paper damp and show a little color.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



Thanks man. I'll do that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifty150hs 12-21-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snik (Post 1149861)
Just buy it at the auto store?
Do I need coolant specific dye?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some auto parts store carry it. If not you can order it on line. Yes, coolant specific dye. They make them for coolant, oil and AC.

trentcdrums 12-22-2018 01:11 AM

What kind of oil? I use Lucas oil stabilizer myself. I didn't realize you would go that heavy and oil. Definitely interested. I'm located in Florida

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Overboost 12-22-2018 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a simple wash after 2 days of solid rain here at the lake. Black looks so bad when it's dirty...

mr_robot 12-22-2018 11:09 AM

But looks the best clean! Nothing is more rewarding than a detailed Black paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.