Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   What did you do to / for your E53 today?? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/78921-what-did-you-do-your-e53-today.html)

andrewwynn 12-19-2018 01:08 PM

Replaced wife's coolant reservoir. A couple weeks ago replaced her thermostat when the car wouldn't maintain 90c core temp.

A week later I checked the level and it was a little low I figured I just didn't top off completely after three job, but a couple days ago I noticed low cabin heat then the next day wife texts me a picture of the temp idiot needle on red.

I had her pull over and meet her with a couple gallons of distilled water, pour in about 2/3 gallon before I get it topped off but the engine is still quite warm so it manages to boil some of the water and I get some bubbles, I put the cap on and drive in circles to get some cooling through the radiator and park and check things out.

I hear a very odd sound, like a rattle I can't figure out until I notice it also sounds like water boiling and then I noticed the side of the coolant reservoir is peeing a pretty healthy stream out the corner not even at a seam.

Local parts place had a knock off for $77 including the thermostat which self destructs on disassembly. I used the same on my truck a year ago and it's still going. I had no problem installing mine but wife's would not fit over the o-ring: something was out of tolerance but enough pushing and pulling I got the thing on and it is working, wife reported getting cabin heat in a short time this am. Have to check when cool to get the level correct and hope no other leaks.

Overboost 12-19-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1149628)
Replaced wife's coolant reservoir. A couple weeks ago replaced her thermostat when the car wouldn't maintain 90c core temp.

A week later I checked the level and it was a little low I figured I just didn't top off completely after three job, but a couple days ago I noticed low cabin heat then the next day wife texts me a picture of the temp idiot needle on red.

I had her pull over and meet her with a couple gallons of distilled water, pour in about 2/3 gallon before I get it topped off but the engine is still quite warm so it manages to boil some of the water and I get some bubbles, I put the cap on and drive in circles to get some cooling through the radiator and park and check things out.

I hear a very odd sound, like a rattle I can't figure out until I notice it also sounds like water boiling and then I noticed the side of the coolant reservoir is peeing a pretty healthy stream out the corner not even at a seam.

Local parts place had a knock off for $77 including the thermostat which self destructs on disassembly. I used the same on my truck a year ago and it's still going. I had no problem installing mine but wife's would not fit over the o-ring: something was out of tolerance but enough pushing and pulling I got the thing on and it is working, wife reported getting cabin heat in a short time this am. Have to check when cool to get the level correct and hope no other leaks.

Yep, I just did the Dorman kit myself because of the trip the next day and had to have it NOW. (I read your thread when you did yours) Mine fit fine on the bottom but I struggled to get the clip to seat on the upper hose expansion tank fitting. It just would not seat. I ended up "deburring" the clip slot on the expansion tank and it finally seated. Took it out for a 1095 mile test drive and everything was fine. :bustingup

andrewwynn 12-19-2018 05:18 PM

Three top was also a tight fit but by removing the clip I was able to use a small screw driver through the clip slot to pry the fitting over the very tight o-ring

On the bottom the bigger fitting did not have the captive o-ring so I removed the o-ring and put on the car side and it worked out better.

I almost started filling the coolant before I realized the middle hose wasn't actually snapped on talk about dodging a bullet!

snik 12-20-2018 10:02 AM

Well poop. I've been away for a month. Got the tranny sorted just before I left and took off. Wife tells me on Tuesday the "coolant low" message popped up.
She couldn't get the cap open, someone passing by helped her get it open and it was really low. I guess it took a lot. She says there's no sign of coolant or leaks of any kind on the ground or anywhere in the engine bay.

I'll have to check my receipts, but I'm pretty sure the valley pan tube has been replaced with an expandable one.
I'm really hoping it's not the cap at the back of the motor, but I think that one would leave stuff on the floor wouldn't it?
Anyway, gotta go investigate this shit when I get home.
It's always something with this damn thing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overboost 12-20-2018 10:14 AM

Remember, we have different engines and expansion tanks so YMMV. When my low coolant warning came on, I didn't see any coolant leak either. Spent an hour under there looking at everything. Once I filled up the tank and ran it again, found the crack in the expansion tank pissing coolant.

My coolant level had dropped below the hairline crack in my tank so no visible leak when it was low. Have her look around now that the system is full and engine warmed up.

snik 12-20-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 1149712)
Remember, we have different engines and expansion tanks so YMMV. When my low coolant warning came on, I didn't see any coolant leak either. Spent an hour under there looking at everything. Once I filled up the tank and ran it again, found the crack in the expansion tank pissing coolant.



My coolant level had dropped below the hairline crack in my tank so no visible leak when it was low. Have her look around now that the system is full and engine warmed up.



That's great news.
Just went and looked at the records on my phone. Entire cooling system done at 88k.
WP and coolant pipe were done again at 110k. Now at 138k I think.
I really hope it is the expansion tank.
I also just ordered two 1.4 bar radiator caps and a pressure test kit too. Hopefully I can find the issue when I get home, I hope it is as simple as yours was. Expansion tank is often neglected when changed. Especially with like the N62 where it's away from the engine and radiator and not subject to crazy heat like the inline 6 cars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burninator 12-20-2018 01:26 PM

The expansion tank in my 4.8iS failed the day I bought it :rofl: (at 135k). The seam where the top and bottom halves of the tank meet was leaking near one of the corners.

snik 12-20-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burninator (Post 1149725)
The expansion tank in my 4.8iS failed the day I bought it :rofl: (at 135k). The seam where the top and bottom halves of the tank meet was leaking near one of the corners.



You guys don't know how much I'm hoping for and looking fwd to a busted expansion tank. lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrewwynn 12-21-2018 12:26 AM

What did you do to / for your E53 today??
 
When the expansion tank fails it will typically have a hairline crack you often can't even see, the coolant leaks so slow you won't get drips because it will evaporate. Eventually you get low coolant message or weak cabin heat output.

The danger is that the idiot non gauge will be in the danger zone very quickly if you have a rapid release of your coolant!

When wife's blew recently she texted me a picture of pinned high temp (I had her take a reading of the temp and it was 260!). Fortunately the oil temp was a far more modest 217 so I'm sure ECT sensor was dry allowing it to spike but no warning at all because of the moronic non gauge.

The day after I replaced wife's, helped a fellow xoutpost member via text tried his on a 4.4: the new one did not come with a level sender so he had to move the old one over: problem was the new tank had only one bayonet hole and the old sender has or I did say HAD two bayonet ears. He cut off one ear and it worked. Knock off part because only local option of course.

SlickGT1 12-21-2018 09:27 AM

E30 1.4bar cap boys. Give the coolant system a break with that 2.0 bar bullshit they install from the factory. 30k miles and like 6 years on mine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.