Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 463
bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Has anybody tried other brand than OEM for replacing door handle.

PO had front driver side replaced by dealer, I did the right front using OEM as well. Now the rear driver side just failed and I don't feel like spending $100+ unless necessary.
It seems that most aftermarket solutions are even worse than OEM but I didn't find any reviews for Febi Bilstein. $46 at rmeuropean:
BMW FEBI BILSTEIN Outside Door Handle Carrier 51228243635
I'm thinking of trying it unless somebody had bad experience with it.
Thanks in advance.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 4.6is
Supersprint Magnum Exhaust * 88C thermostat * Spal electric fan (fan clutch delete) * Bilstein HD struts and shocks with rear Suplex coil springs (air suspension delete) * OEM style 177 wheels
2003 BMW M5
1997 BMW 528i/A
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:25 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,216
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw540san View Post
PO had front driver side replaced by dealer, I did the right front using OEM as well. Now the rear driver side just failed and I don't feel like spending $100+ unless necessary.
It seems that most aftermarket solutions are even worse than OEM but I didn't find any reviews for Febi Bilstein. $46 at rmeuropean:
BMW FEBI BILSTEIN Outside Door Handle Carrier 51228243635
I'm thinking of trying it unless somebody had bad experience with it.
Thanks in advance.
Frickin pot metal carriers. I've done 3 so far too...

Last edited by Overboost; 01-26-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 899
80stech is on a distinguished road
I just installed the Febi one and it fits, works, and looks almost identical to the BMW one which I ordered as well to compare.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new)
2004 X5 3.0 (new to me) 2005 X3 2.5 (new to wife)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 951
oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw540san View Post
PO had front driver side replaced by dealer, I did the right front using OEM as well. Now the rear driver side just failed and I don't feel like spending $100+ unless necessary.
It seems that most aftermarket solutions are even worse than OEM but I didn't find any reviews for Febi Bilstein. $46 at rmeuropean:
BMW FEBI BILSTEIN Outside Door Handle Carrier 51228243635
I'm thinking of trying it unless somebody had bad experience with it.
Thanks in advance.
I used the Febi from RMEuropean on both sides for the rear doors a few months ago. Out of the box, they both seemed a lot less smoothly functioning than I expected. But considering the hassle of return vs. installing with warranty, I installed.

And they're just fine. Any lack of smoothness is not noticeable at all once they're installed. And the year before, I had put Febi's in the fronts as well. Happy with all 4.

They appear to be just as well made as the originals. BTW, I think only one side had failed, but I replaced both and am glad I did. Things are very fast once I've got all the tools out and have the little tricks fresh in my mind. And buying both sides was enough to get me the free shipping.
__________________
2001 X5 3.0i, 190k miles, AT, owned since 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 463
bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Frickin pot metal carriers. I've done 3 so far too...
Not my favorite diy either.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 4.6is
Supersprint Magnum Exhaust * 88C thermostat * Spal electric fan (fan clutch delete) * Bilstein HD struts and shocks with rear Suplex coil springs (air suspension delete) * OEM style 177 wheels
2003 BMW M5
1997 BMW 528i/A
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 463
bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
I just installed the Febi one and it fits, works, and looks almost identical to the BMW one which I ordered as well to compare.
Glad to hear it. I'm ordering it. Thanks.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 4.6is
Supersprint Magnum Exhaust * 88C thermostat * Spal electric fan (fan clutch delete) * Bilstein HD struts and shocks with rear Suplex coil springs (air suspension delete) * OEM style 177 wheels
2003 BMW M5
1997 BMW 528i/A
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 463
bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
I used the Febi from RMEuropean on both sides for the rear doors a few months ago. Out of the box, they both seemed a lot less smoothly functioning than I expected. But considering the hassle of return vs. installing with warranty, I installed.

And they're just fine. Any lack of smoothness is not noticeable at all once they're installed. And the year before, I had put Febi's in the fronts as well. Happy with all 4.

They appear to be just as well made as the originals. BTW, I think only one side had failed, but I replaced both and am glad I did. Things are very fast once I've got all the tools out and have the little tricks fresh in my mind. And buying both sides was enough to get me the free shipping.
You're the 2nd one to give nods to Febi and that's good enough for me. Thanks.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 4.6is
Supersprint Magnum Exhaust * 88C thermostat * Spal electric fan (fan clutch delete) * Bilstein HD struts and shocks with rear Suplex coil springs (air suspension delete) * OEM style 177 wheels
2003 BMW M5
1997 BMW 528i/A
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Burlington, NJ
Posts: 635
amancuso is on a distinguished road
Does the window have to be down or up when doing it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,326
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
All brands have the same design fault. You can fix it with a piece of 16ga wire and with a Dremel you can cut off the nubbin that causes the breakage.

The last one I installed, the spring was too long and scraped on the window!

Find my threads on the topic they can be repaired for free.

Also, if you use a knock off simply swap the OE cables they are better quality even old.

Window must be up. Find some YouTube videos.

My tips:

1) cut the through the adhesive goo on the vapor barrier with razor knife it will re-adhere like new

2) turn the carrier vertical to remove and install

3) CUT off the NUB that blocks the motion when locked it will never break again. Impossible.

4) flip the airbag around and reattach to one of the mount points it will hold it safely out of the way while still plugged in: this eliminates the need to disconnect the battery

These carriers break due to a design flaw: when locked they are designed to prevent lifting the handle to give feedback to the operator that the door is locked the problem is the locking mechanism gets gummy with oil and will operate slowly when cold.

The operator will assume the door seal is iced and just needs a good tug so they do. The door handle is still locked and you tug with several hundred pounds of force compounded with leverage into 10s of 1000s of psi onto a piece of pot metal that is about 8 mm˛. It off course snaps.

I did a very simple modification that eliminates the flaw: it removes the NUB that blocks the handle motion when locked; it now simply "dry fires" when locked: the handle is allowed full motion since the cable is internally disabled and does nothing anyhow.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 463
bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
All brands have the same design fault. You can fix it with a piece of 16ga wire and with a Dremel you can cut off the nubbin that causes the breakage.

The last one I installed, the spring was too long and scraped on the window!

Find my threads on the topic they can be repaired for free.

Also, if you use a knock off simply swap the OE cables they are better quality even old.

Window must be up. Find some YouTube videos.

My tips:

1) cut the through the adhesive goo on the vapor barrier with razor knife it will re-adhere like new

2) turn the carrier vertical to remove and install

3) CUT off the NUB that blocks the motion when locked it will never break again. Impossible.

4) flip the airbag around and reattach to one of the mount points it will hold it safely out of the way while still plugged in: this eliminates the need to disconnect the battery

These carriers break due to a design flaw: when locked they are designed to prevent lifting the handle to give feedback to the operator that the door is locked the problem is the locking mechanism gets gummy with oil and will operate slowly when cold.

The operator will assume the door seal is iced and just needs a good tug so they do. The door handle is still locked and you tug with several hundred pounds of force compounded with leverage into 10s of 1000s of psi onto a piece of pot metal that is about 8 mm˛. It off course snaps.

I did a very simple modification that eliminates the flaw: it removes the NUB that blocks the handle motion when locked; it now simply "dry fires" when locked: the handle is allowed full motion since the cable is internally disabled and does nothing anyhow.
Thank you for detailed and invaluable tips. I just did last one by the book and your tips seem time saver and clever. I'll definitely use them when I do repair in the near future.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 4.6is
Supersprint Magnum Exhaust * 88C thermostat * Spal electric fan (fan clutch delete) * Bilstein HD struts and shocks with rear Suplex coil springs (air suspension delete) * OEM style 177 wheels
2003 BMW M5
1997 BMW 528i/A
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.