Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   What did you do to / for your E53 today?? (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/78921-what-did-you-do-your-e53-today.html)

Ryoken 02-15-2019 06:54 AM

it depends on how difficult it is to do it yourself , I don't want to kill the vanos by doing it myself , but I don't want to spend getting some one to do it when the parts cos a few quid , especially when im actually doing the guides myself

Wangwolf 02-15-2019 01:14 PM

Oil Change:
Liqui Moly Special Tec LL 5W-30 Motor Oil 2249
Mann-Filter HU 925/4 X Metal-Free Oil Filter

Interior LED Lights (Warm White)
Bright Trunk Light Mod
WeissLicht LED License Plate Light
OEM BMW Slimline License Plate Frame
Black Kidney Grill
All Weather Floor Mats
All Weather Trunk Mat

andrewwynn 02-15-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryoken (Post 1155237)
it depends on how difficult it is to do it yourself , I don't want to kill the vanos by doing it myself , but I don't want to spend getting some one to do it when the parts cos a few quid , especially when im actually doing the guides myself



Vanos seal replace was maybe 6/10 difficulty. It was one of the most satisfying DIY repairs I ever have done. There are other parts of chain guides job they are more difficult.

It's very difficult to get one of the internal Teflon seals in. 8/10 or 9/10 if you try to do the way they suggest. If you use my trick that part becomes about 5/10 difficult. I would still get three of the Teflon seals to replace 2 just in case of learning curve emergency.

Basically, there is a thin Teflon seal deep inside a groove. Then a chubby o-ring goes in after to maintain pressure on the teflon. The Teflon being the slipperiest substance known to man is very difficult to get it to stay down in the groove while you work your way around.

After chasing the thing around the circle several dozen times and wrecking the first teflon seal I figured out a foolproof way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentcdrums 02-15-2019 11:49 PM

Spent three hours trying to get the engine mounts removed. They will not slide out for the life of me and no one had a decent diy on this process...... Had to put it all back for a few hours trip tomorrow.. :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

andrewwynn 02-16-2019 02:04 AM

That sucks I've had to put a car partly back together mid job so I feel you. At the moment my left rear door has the handle on my driver's seat pocket. Got place to not lose it but it loses most of it's utility there!

I have the full service manual PDF I'll look for engine mount procedure. I'm expecting "lift the engine an inch" is close to step one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crystalworks 02-16-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1155293)
I have the full service manual PDF I'll look for engine mount procedure. I'm expecting "lift the engine an inch" is close to step one.

"**lift the engine an inch. **See note.


NOTE: Be aware that wire harnesses only have 3/4" of play. Do not pull/strain wire harnesses." :rolleyes: :D

It happens everytime I do engine mounts on a BMW. Though 3 series cars are by far the "easiest."

I have driven my X three times now!!! Last fillup was first week in November. Got it inspected at the new dealership here in San Antonio. It's pretty swanky. Much improved facility, but I imagine it's going to be hard to pay that note every month. Even with being the only dealership in town. You can tell they make their money in the service dept though... it is easily 3-4 times the size of the sales floor/showroom. Some ridiculous number of bays, I forget the number but it was around 200+. :wow:

The cool/funny thing about it though was my service adviser apologizing for the likelihood of hand/finger prints that I would have to wipe off. The techs were loving the truck and she said they were coming from the rest of the facility to check out the vehicle. She took me into the shop to show me the new digs and a few of them asked if it was okay to take pictures. Was pretty cool, and I definitely feel like I have a very "special" BMW now, which was what I was going for... even if the aero kit has a love-hate relationship among the enthusiast community. It puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. I showed up with my daughter at around 4:30PM and they had me out by 5:00. That never would have happened at their old location. An inspection there used to take a few hours without an appt.

snik 02-16-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1155296)
"**lift the engine an inch. **See note.





NOTE: Be aware that wire harnesses only have 3/4" of play. Do not pull/strain wire harnesses." :rolleyes: :D



It happens everytime I do engine mounts on a BMW. Though 3 series cars are by far the "easiest."



I have driven my X three times now!!! Last fillup was first week in November. Got it inspected at the new dealership here in San Antonio. It's pretty swanky. Much improved facility, but I imagine it's going to be hard to pay that note every month. Even with being the only dealership in town. You can tell they make their money in the service dept though... it is easily 3-4 times the size of the sales floor/showroom. Some ridiculous number of bays, I forget the number but it was around 200+. :wow:



The cool/funny thing about it though was my service adviser apologizing for the likelihood of hand/finger prints that I would have to wipe off. The techs were loving the truck and she said they were coming from the rest of the facility to check out the vehicle. She took me into the shop to show me the new digs and a few of them asked if it was okay to take pictures. Was pretty cool, and I definitely feel like I have a very "special" BMW now, which was what I was going for... even if the aero kit has a love-hate relationship among the enthusiast community. It puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. I showed up with my daughter at around 4:30PM and they had me out by 5:00. That never would have happened at their old location. An inspection there used to take a few hours without an appt.



Nice :)
Yeah the new setup is fancy.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentcdrums 02-16-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1155293)
That sucks I've had to put a car partly back together mid job so I feel you. At the moment my left rear door has the handle on my driver's seat pocket. Got place to not lose it but it loses most of it's utility there!

I have the full service manual PDF I'll look for engine mount procedure. I'm expecting "lift the engine an inch" is close to step one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was about 1 1/2 inches ,:(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

slatanik 02-16-2019 02:23 PM

Replaced front brake discs,pads,done wheel alignment,balanced front wheels.
Previous owner used some cheap pads...the pads burned the discs,made them blue.
They over heated so bad that became deformed,making braking shake the front and i felt the shake in the steering wheel too.

trentcdrums 02-16-2019 07:48 PM

went back out the engine mount job today and made sure I was going to get it fully finished. It turns out that removing both sides engine bracket would take care of this issue. The driver side is absolutely misery because of the lack of room. it also doesn't want to move when you unbolt the bracket because the intake manifold is sitting right on top of it is well. I will post a video on how I took care of this job and it will be much easier for whoever else tackles it since there's not much DIYs around this

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.