Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #13271  
Old 03-01-2021, 02:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 161
plasstik is on a distinguished road
Painted one rear brake caliper and put the wheel back on. Slooooow process when you don't have time to work on stuff. But hey, ONE brake caliper looks great in Not quite BMW blue, but only you folks and few others will know the difference.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #13272  
Old 03-02-2021, 03:08 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 8,105
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Replaced the rear suspension air bags. Bags were original.

I purchased new rear tires at Discount Tire a while back. Lug bolts on one side were so tight I had to put a floor jack handle over the breaker bar to get them loose and it was still difficult. I'm surprised they didn't break them off. I usually watch them closely but there were lots of people waiting and most of them weren't wearing masks.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #13273  
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 904
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Replaced the rear suspension air bags. Bags were original.

I purchased new rear tires at Discount Tire a while back. Lug bolts on one side were so tight I had to put a floor jack handle over the breaker bar to get them loose and it was still difficult. I'm surprised they didn't break them off. I usually watch them closely but there were lots of people waiting and most of them weren't wearing masks.
My rear tires are sealed so tight I can't budge it with all lug nuts off.

That's what happens when your suv comes from the rust belt states.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
  #13274  
Old 03-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Chantilly,VA
Posts: 31
Angel.X5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Replaced the rear suspension air bags. Bags were original.

I purchased new rear tires at Discount Tire a while back. Lug bolts on one side were so tight I had to put a floor jack handle over the breaker bar to get them loose and it was still difficult. I'm surprised they didn't break them off. I usually watch them closely but there were lots of people waiting and most of them weren't wearing masks.


Do I understand correctly that you have H&R lowering springs with links to drop the rear height?


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
__________________
2002 BMW X5 4.6is 120k miles Black Saph
Reply With Quote
  #13275  
Old 03-02-2021, 09:23 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 8,105
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel.X5 View Post
Do I understand correctly that you have H&R lowering springs with links to drop the rear height?


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
That's correct. I considered coilovers instead of new air bags but it is already at the height I like now and with suspension upgrades I did it already handles better than I need for on the street.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #13276  
Old 03-03-2021, 03:26 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 10,754
andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruzo View Post
My rear tires are sealed so tight I can't budge it with all lug nuts off.



That's what happens when your suv comes from the rust belt states.


I have had this problem plenty of times.

Put on your lug nuts just snug then loosen about 2/3 of a turn each

Lower the car to the ground and go make a couple figure eights in a parking lot.

You can also just try to drop the wheel back to the ground twist the jack to lower as fast as you can.

Both of those tricks have served me well.
__________________
2011 E70 N55 (me)
2012 E70 N63 (wife)
Reply With Quote
  #13277  
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 84
///Monster123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
I have had this problem plenty of times.

Put on your lug nuts just snug then loosen about 2/3 of a turn each

Lower the car to the ground and go make a couple figure eights in a parking lot.

You can also just try to drop the wheel back to the ground twist the jack to lower as fast as you can.

Both of those tricks have served me well.
I had a couple of sticky wheels too. I put on new rotors this winter and the wheels still had trouble going over the new rotor hub rings. So the corrosion/buildup was actually on my wheel and not the rotor hub ring. A little scour pad action on my wheel hub bores and the wheels go on and off much more nicely.

When I was trying to get these wheels off one took quite a bit of pounding and wiggling to get it off. It made me think that I'm glad I was doing this in my garage and not changing a flat on a cold night on the side of the road trying to karate kick a seized wheel off of the hub.
__________________
2000 E53 M62
Reply With Quote
  #13278  
Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 6,404
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monster123 View Post
I had a couple of sticky wheels too. I put on new rotors this winter and the wheels still had trouble going over the new rotor hub rings. So the corrosion/buildup was actually on my wheel and not the rotor hub ring. A little scour pad action on my wheel hub bores and the wheels go on and off much more nicely.

When I was trying to get these wheels off one took quite a bit of pounding and wiggling to get it off. It made me think that I'm glad I was doing this in my garage and not changing a flat on a cold night on the side of the road trying to karate kick a seized wheel off of the hub.
^ Had that recently on the newly acquired F15. Wheels were stuck on pretty good. Took a few kicks on top and bottom to finally pop them off. Went at the rotor hubs with drill and metal wheel brushes. Light sanding on the wheel hub and then followed up with copper grease on reinstall. Shouldn't be a problem going forward.

Nothing major done to the E53. Checked the connector for the thermostat as it threw a code for it and all appeared in good order. Temperatures have been fine when driving. One of these days I'll change out all the cooling system stuff that I have sitting in a box. One of these days... LOL, I'm still rolling around on a URO expansion tank.

Also changed out the license plate frames as the old ones were getting pretty crusty. Small change, but makes a big difference visually. At least to me. Someday I'll tackle the faded shadowline trim.

Name:  Plate Frames 01.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  603.9 KB

Name:  Plate Frames 02.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  474.7 KB
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #13279  
Old 03-03-2021, 01:32 PM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 3,788
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Just an additional reminder that when you have your wheels off....

Dismount your tires and check for the start of *cracks as potholes, speed bumps and/or the Middle East seems to hammer the crap out of them.


*20" wheels especially

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
  #13280  
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 6,404
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
Just an additional reminder that when you have your wheels off....

Dismount your tires and check for the start of *cracks as potholes, speed bumps and/or the Middle East seems to hammer the crap out of them.


*20" wheels especially
Dismounting tires from wheels might be a little overkill in most circumstances. The white witch sees speeds and roads most of our rides don't have to cope with. I haven't had any problems with wheels, but this prompted my last rear tire purchase on Red.

Name:  20181109_153412.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  601.2 KB
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.