Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Off-topic > The Lounge
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #801  
Old 07-06-2020, 11:26 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
My wifeís a pretty good cook but she loves dining out. This pandemic has changed her eating behavior. She now cooks almost every day and she prepares my work lunch!

A feat that Iíve been trying to accomplish for he past 24 years to no avail.

At least i got one good thing to thank for this disastrous year.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #802  
Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,357
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is any question Trump is a narcissist either. I used the word likely because no doctor has evaluated Trump in person to 'officially' quantify if he has a personality disorder. Doctors haven't heard directly from Trump to learn about his view of the public and more importantly the private Trump.The doctors that have made a diagnosis anyway don't all agree on the type of narcissist. If he is a malignant narcissist as some say he as more ugly colors to show us that are even more destructive than what we have seen so far. If he is re-elected I think we will see the entire ugly rainbow. We think it is terrible now, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

I don't think Biden has much chance to implement a good plan to control the virus either. Trump is not going to go away, nor will most of Trumps base. Political differences will be the Quagmire.

New York has good plan, implementation was well managed and it worked. Plan was coordinated with CDC and WHO and adjusted as needed. It is very similar to other countries that have been successful combating the virus. It's right there in front of us and it is largely ignored.

Even if one removes all the emotion and politics entwined in the pandemic, looking at it logically based on what we and other countries have done, we are so far away from dealing with COVID19 sensibly that I don't think we we can get there from here. Our salvation may only be when the cooperation of the people is immaterial to the success of any plan. Divided we fall.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 07-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
A good plan will work even better if the messaging from the top is consistent. The reason why seatbelt and helmet campaigns are successful is because the message was consistent. The public received the same message over and over again and it became a defacto truth: wearing seatbelts / helmet saves lives.

We need to use the same strategy with social distancing and mask wearing.

Push it on the national level and be consistent with the message.

I think Biden can do that. Follow the logical route. Even with his reduced mental state. Heís a compassionate person in his core.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 07-07-2020, 02:54 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,357
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruzo View Post
A good plan will work even better if the messaging from the top is consistent. The reason why seatbelt and helmet campaigns are successful is because the message was consistent. The public received the same message over and over again and it became a defacto truth: wearing seatbelts / helmet saves lives.

We need to use the same strategy with social distancing and mask wearing.

Push it on the national level and be consistent with the message.

I think Biden can do that. Follow the logical route. Even with his reduced mental state. Heís a compassionate person in his core.
Seat belts are a good example of a single message. I understand your point.
Taking it a step further, In Texas the single message is "click it or ticket". The effort had to ultimately include a traffic violation for not wearing one. It was for those that needed to be protected from themselves. I see no indication we are a country that will broadly adopt a single message on their own. And COVID 19 is not something that only puts the nonconformist at risk.

You can't fix stupid but stupid understands if they don't conform it will hurt their pocketbook or freedom. If we want to push it past the entanglement of politics at least make the first violation a warning, the second $250 fine and the third $1000 and/or 10 days in jail. Even then it is with a very questionable assumption that law enforcement will take time away from other duties to ticket anyone, if that is enough or the punishment is reasonable for the crime.

Seems like not wearing a mask is endangering the public. Depending on the circumstances of public intoxication there can be an add on of endangering the public. Public intoxication is a minimum of 72 hours in jail plus a fine. Endangering the public is a felony. The penalty is up to a $10,000 fine and 10 years in jail. Not saying the punishment for not wearing a mask should be the same it's only for perspective. But if one is not wearing a mask they could be tested and quarantined until the results come back. If they test positive there could be a significant fine and time in jail.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas

Last edited by bcredliner; 07-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 07-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Seat belts are a good example of a single message. I understand your point.
Taking it a step further, In Texas the single message is "click it or ticket". The effort had to ultimately include a traffic violation for not wearing one. It was for those that needed to be protected from themselves. I see no indication we are a country that will broadly adopt a single message on their own. And COVID 19 is not something that only puts the nonconformist at risk.

You can't fix stupid but stupid understands if they don't conform it will hurt their pocketbook or freedom. If we want to push it past the entanglement of politics at least make the first violation a warning, the second $250 fine and the third $1000 and/or 10 days in jail. Even then it is with a very questionable assumption that law enforcement will take time away from other duties to ticket anyone, if that is enough or the punishment is reasonable for the crime.

Seems like not wearing a mask is endangering the public. Depending on the circumstances of public intoxication there can be an add on of endangering the public. Public intoxication is a minimum of 72 hours in jail plus a fine. Endangering the public is a felony. The penalty is up to a $10,000 fine and 10 years in jail. Not saying the punishment for not wearing a mask should be the same it's only for perspective. But if one is not wearing a mask they could be tested and quarantined until the results come back. If they test positive there could be a significant fine and time in jail.
The logic makes sense. And you've lay out the right precedent for implementing this policy. Great job BC!

This is the right time to enforce the mask and social distance requirements. I would say we're pretty late in this game, but the strategy will work if it's done right and everybody follows it right away.

We've shown that the guidelines can be effective. California was on a downward slope in the low 1,000s daily positive cases before the ease of restriction were to take place.

Then we went the wrong way and we're now seeing 4,000 and more each day.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
https://apple.news/A18-0gm2gSI6KQpTvL7IvOw

A story of how a popular burger is made from start to finish in the pandemic times.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 07-08-2020, 01:08 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,357
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruzo View Post
The logic makes sense. And you've lay out the right precedent for implementing this policy. Great job BC!

This is the right time to enforce the mask and social distance requirements. I would say we're pretty late in this game, but the strategy will work if it's done right and everybody follows it right away.

We've shown that the guidelines can be effective. California was on a downward slope in the low 1,000s daily positive cases before the ease of restriction were to take place.

Then we went the wrong way and we're now seeing 4,000 and more each day.
Texas opened the day or day after Trump said we need to open the country, a suck up move. We made national news then and are now. We met none of the criteria for the CDC opening plan. Infections were still climbing. The opening was expedited with no pauses to see what happens checkpoints.

Now we are setting a new infection record everyday. After a week or more of that, the Governor finally declared all Texans must wear masks at some level of cases in each county. But he hasn't closed any of the primary infection spots like bars. More people wearing masks should slow the rate of increases but I think we are a long way from any downturn and certainly not to level the CDC recommends to even start an opening plan.

Fight or die in Texas has nothing to do with defeating the virus. It means fight anyone that sounds like they might be telling me what to do or wants any level of gun control. I will be surprised if I don't see many more confederate flags flying behind lifted diesel pickup trucks with huge tires, gun racks, a don't tread on me, out of my cold dead hands and Trump bumper stickers, almost always speeding, tailgating, smoking like a tire fire and pedal to the metal from each traffic light. In Texas, when you buy a pickup truck one of the dealer installed accessories is a Redneck kit with the lift kit, tires and all the stickers already applied. They won't be wearing masks and neither will their friends or family.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas

Last edited by bcredliner; 07-08-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
I also find many truck drivers here in California drive more aggressively. They tend to speed and enjoy passing multiple cars.


https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000482856342

"Four New Insights About the Coronavirus"

This is a pretty good podcast on the latest discoveries on the virus.

The virus is actually a vascular, or blood vessel disease rather than the respiratory illness that is commonly believed a couple of months ago.

It impacts the lungs, kidneys, heart, and eventually the brain. Basically anywhere massive webs of tiny blood vessels exists within our body.

So as it mutates, our ways of detecting it is no longer limited to signs of coughs, fevers, etc. Flashing heat discomforts on one's feet could also be an indication of the virus on younger population.

There's speculation that this virus, much like the infuenza in 1918, will eventually mutate into a much more infectious version with a decreased ability to cause bodily harm.

Although there's been no repectable scientists out there who are willing to suggest or hypothesize such a mutation may occurr for the SARS-CoV-2.

We're at the stage where new mutations of this virus is occurring almost every other week. There's no telling what it will ultimately become a few months or years down the road.

But the podcast brought up the point that all organism's ultimate goal is to surive and spread its genetic material. So its understandable that this virus's tendency is to find the most efficient way to massively spread its copies onto the hosts.

Which is why we're seeing the Italian mutation that was not necessarily more deadly than the original wuhan strain, but 5 to 10 times more infectious.

And one of the reasons why when the European strain traveled to the east coast, we got an immediate spike on infection numbers.

The interesting note on the deadly 1918 influenza is, the original deadly virus came out and swept through out world quickly within the year, infecting an estimated 60 to 70% of the world population.

A precursor to the modern day N95 mask was actually developed during this time because an asian doctor beleived that filtering the air we breath could help us prevent the disease from spreading.

The infection died down quicklly. A few years later it came back and appeared in pigs, causing the swine flu. And later it started to massively infect the general population again.

But this time it is in a less lethal form, which later became known as the H1N1 virus, or typically known as our season flu.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 4,812
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
But he hasn't closed any of the primary infection spots like bars. More people wearing masks should slow the rate of increases but I think we are a long way from any downturn and certainly not to level the CDC recommends to even start an opening plan.

Fight or die in Texas has nothing to do with defeating the virus. It means fight anyone that sounds like they might be telling me what to do or wants any level of gun control. I will be surprised if I don't see many more confederate flags flying behind lifted diesel pickup trucks with huge tires, gun racks, a don't tread on me, out of my cold dead hands and Trump bumper stickers, almost always speeding, tailgating, smoking like a tire fire and pedal to the metal from each traffic light. In Texas, when you buy a pickup truck one of the dealer installed accessories is a Redneck kit with the lift kit, tires and all the stickers already applied. They won't be wearing masks and neither will their friends or family.
The second paragraph is quite a bit of stereotyping. I have seen a LARGE reduction in Confederate flags. Like I can not remember the last time I saw one on a truck/vehicle. Trump stickers sure, but I also see Bernie and Biden stickers. People have the right to support their candidate of choice.

But I'm more concerned with the first part of the quote. Dallas hasn't closed bars?! San Antonio/Bexar County re-closed them very quickly. Bars and restaurants were the only part of the reopening I ever really had a problem with. And not requiring masks while in businesses. But here we have that as well. Is Dallas just that much more right wing?
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 07-08-2020, 10:52 PM
Maruzo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 517
Maruzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
The second paragraph is quite a bit of stereotyping. I have seen a LARGE reduction in Confederate flags. Like I can not remember the last time I saw one on a truck/vehicle. Trump stickers sure, but I also see Bernie and Biden stickers. People have the right to support their candidate of choice.

But I'm more concerned with the first part of the quote. Dallas hasn't closed bars?! San Antonio/Bexar County re-closed them very quickly. Bars and restaurants were the only part of the reopening I ever really had a problem with. And not requiring masks while in businesses. But here we have that as well. Is Dallas just that much more right wing?
I donít think the guidelines work or not because you have Left or right wing preference.
__________________
2003 X5 4.6is Estoril Blue, acquired March 2018
2013 128i M Sport 6 MT Space Grey daily driver
2010 535xi 6 MT Barbera Red
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.